diving jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not currently workin in the dive industry but I can tell you from life experience that your grades in school have absolutely nothing to do with what jobs you can get when out of school. The person that passes with a D average still has the same diploma as the person that passes with a perfect A.

Keep THAT in mind next time you goto the doctor as (s)he just might be the doctor that passed with the C average. :)

Grades DO effect what the next school you can get into is though and therefore effecting what additional diplomas you have.

SpyderTek

I agree with he above, your grades dont matter at this point, passing is passing.

I went through ( and graduated) a commercial diving program. They are very challenging. What you do at there school is what counts. I was shocked to see about 1/4 of my class was not even a certified scuba diver. That didnt matter because you had to pass an adv. scuba class first. I just cant see how a non diver thinks diving is gonna be his/her career.

If commercial diving is your calling, the perfect back ground is the following:

1. Scuba classes, as many as you want to take
2. Math is important ( sorry, but it is)
3. Rigging, it is truley a major portion of your training
4. EMT, you can take DMT from your school to be more valuable as a potentcial employee
5. Know the ins and outs of compressors
6. Welding background is desired
7. FITNESS
8. If your not machanically inclined dont even think about commercial diving.
9. Offshore safety course

i am sure i will add to this later.

upon graduation you will NOT be a diver, you will be a tender. You have to pay your dues as a tender for a min of 2 years. Your job as a tender is very important, the diver is placing his life in your hands. You will however get to dive as a tender, they will be testing you, they want to know if you got what it takes. If your asked to dive you better do it ( unless your sick).

any questions just post it i will help you if i can

Andy

Thanx, youve helped alot but ive got one last question, are there alot of job openings, is it hard to find a job, or would there be better luck as a marine biologist. Once again thanx:)

You can get hired as a tender right out of school so long as you do your HW. By this i mean take more classes. I took an extra class called NDT ( nondestructive testing) which can give you the edge over another graduate without it. Or get the DMT cert as well. DMT is just a glorified EMT, but every commerical company out there needs them.

the marine biologist route probably will involve more school work but less physical exertion once you get hired. Commercial diving is highly physical work so make sure you choose the one you want to do.

If you go the commercial route you will most likely live in Tx or La. Thats the place to work if your serious about it. You are going to work in the Gulf !!!!

Andy

hope i could help some

They are both very different careers.

if your interested in marine life of the worlds oceans and want to study a particular species then your choice is clear.

If your interested in assembling oil platorms and working on pipe lines the commercial work is your calling. There are more specialized aspects of commercial work as well. You may want to train to be a welder, inspection diver, contaminated environment diver, ROV operator, submersible pilot..... but first you need to do the oil field diving to get diver status, then you can pick your specific area of interest.

for course specifics check out these schools:

The Ocean Corperation
College of Oceaneering
Divers Institue of Technology

Andy

Grades do count if you want to try and get a state of federal job. Like FBI etc. Sometimes that C average just isn't enough.

just be in good physical condition. if runnings your thing thats cool, whatever keeps you in shape.

You will have to pass an extensive medical exam and an navy O2 tolerance test. The 02 test is nothing you can study for, you either have a low tolerance for high Po2's or you dont. When i went through it, the #'s were like 1 of 150 students failed it.

Reading my past posts i think i may have stressed how hard it was a little tooo much. This is not my intention, i would have to say that those 18 months i spent in school was some of the most fun i ever had. If i ever get a scanner i will post a few pics, i took alot during those days.

i will never regret doing it, it was worth every penny my dad paid :)

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom