Diving Instructor for one year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My parents and most of my family work in education, so I've been surrounded by educators my entire life. Everyone has to work up the ladder and most teachers do this during their education, whilst they are in college. Some do it after college, once they find a place to teach. But being an assistant is a pre-requisite for most schools who aren't in desperate need of full-time educators.

I personally don't think you need to be an "expert" to each core/basic grammar school curriculum.

Everyone I know who was a school teacher has a similar story: You spend years learning your professors ridiculous pet theories about how to teach kids, then your last term is an internship, then you get assigned to a classroom full of kids. At which point the fact that your professors haven't actually taught kids for decades (if ever) becomes painfully obvious, as all the theories you learned don't work (and a total waste of your time learning them) and the fact that your professors had no interest or clue to how to teach classroom management become painfully obvious. Successful teachers adopt and figure out how to make things work in the real world (there are multiple approaches here - like learning how to control your classroom and teach kids, it might instead involve learning how to keep the principle or union steward happy), unsuccessful ones who can't handle the reality of teaching kids become professors of education. The sociopaths, ass-kissers or unhinged become principles or school administrators.

Really well run schools have a different trajectory, but they are pretty rare.

My parents and most of my family work in education, so I've been surrounded by educators my entire life. Everyone has to work up the ladder and most teachers do this during their education, whilst they are in college. Some do it after college, once they find a place to teach. But being an assistant is a pre-requisite for most schools who aren't in desperate need of full-time educators.

I personally don't think you need to be an "expert" to each core/basic grammar school curriculum.

I know we're getting off topic, but still not sure what you mean. You don't "work up the ladder" taking a college degree in teaching. You take courses for 4 years and then "practise teach" ("student teach" in the US like I did) for maybe one semester. So what do they do in Cal. during college to work up the ladder? Being an assistant a prerequisite? Is Cal. different than every other state or province? You said "whilst"--are you originally from the UK and is it different there?

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 05:16 PM ----------

Everyone I know who was a school teacher has a similar story: You spend years learning your professors ridiculous pet theories about how to teach kids, then your last term is an internship, then you get assigned to a classroom full of kids. At which point the fact that your professors haven't actually taught kids for decades (if ever) becomes painfully obvious, as all the theories you learned don't work (and a total waste of your time learning them) and the fact that your professors had no interest or clue to how to teach classroom management become painfully obvious. Successful teachers adopt and figure out how to make things work in the real world (there are multiple approaches here - like learning how to control your classroom and teach kids, it might instead involve learning how to keep the principle or union steward happy), unsuccessful ones who can't handle the reality of teaching kids become professors of education. The sociopaths, ass-kissers or unhinged become principles or school administrators.

Really well run schools have a different trajectory, but they are pretty rare.

Yeah that's the story, as I can attest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom