Diving Instructor for one year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the answers, they helped a lot.
Especially to uboettger, it's a great idea to see if I can work somewhere (for free or a bit money) and get the training to DM or even higher as return. I already found some nice offerings at taucher.net. Maybe I will pause my university for one summer (I'm not sure if that was clear, I can pause and resume it as long and as often I wish, without any consequences.) and do excactly that, then I can see if I wanna pause it for another 6 months and work somewhere as a divemaster.

If you have more tips, let them come :) thanks again for all answers

I would focus on getting a lot more diving in before committing to a course of instruction through instructor. There are some intermediate certifications you need to and can do in the meanwhile, which will also increase your experience. I am not as negative about finding a job as others. Useful to your search will be fluency in multiple languages. You should also include in your search dive centers, retailers, as well as destination resorts. When the time comes. Familiarity with equipment for in shop sales work, as well as being able to do repairs and servicing on equipment is also a great employment enhancer. Good luck, when the time comes, which is a ways off.
DivemasterDennis

Maybe I will pause my university for one summer (I'm not sure if that was clear, I can pause and resume it as long and as often I wish, without any consequences.)

In life - there are always consequences - even if you can't see the direct consequence at the time you make a decision or do not make a decision. :D

Marcel

What you are suggesting is entirely possible.

It's probably worth noting that the OPs question was not "With only 15 dives... can I become a scuba instructor someday?"

The answer to the that question is "Sure, go for it!"

The OPs question is "With only 15 dives... should I put my university studies on hold to become a scuba instructor?"

The answer to that question is "No, don't be an idiot!"

:D

Of course, the replies to your question were expected, and good advice. Another angle is the cost. You did mention in your OP that the 3,000 Euros for the instructor course was not a problem. Without getting too personal, may you be in a situation where money is really not an issue at all? You mentioned as well that you can pause university and return at any point (again suggesting money is not an issue). Why not just stop univ., dive for a couple of years, do all the courses, and then do your Instructor? If you've had enough teaching scuba after 5 years go back to univ.?

You mentioned as well that you can pause university and return at any point (again suggesting money is not an issue). Why not just stop univ., dive for a couple of years, do all the courses, and then do your Instructor? If you've had enough teaching scuba after 5 years go back to univ.?

University in Germany is free

University in Germany is free
Wow, I didn't know that--thought that was only true of Cuba. There still is the question of needing $ while doing like 200 dives and taking courses up & through Instructor.

University in a number of countries is free. Even for Americans and Canadians who choose to go there and study. Not like the money sucking pits that pass for higher education in the states. Especially the ones with endowment funds in the billions like Penn State that keep raising tuition.
As others have said, finish school, get a good paying job, dive your butt off for a couple years, then become an instructor if you still want to do that.

If you can afford to dive for a year, go for it. I'm jealous. If you get your instructor card in the process even better.

Well, it's not like I'm rich, the plan was more to scrap together the 3k€ and then work as an Instructor and finish the year with roughly no money earned or lost. I can definitely not go around for year and take 200 dives without earning money in between^^
It's actually not that uncommon for germans to take a semester or a year and go abroad and "study" there. Most of them, especially in my field, come home with no credits for the university and just take the year to party and get to know foreign countries, so I thought, what the heck, I can combine it with diving. The plan was that the money I get as instructor pays for my year and my training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom