Diving Indonesia in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

every single time the viz has been on the order of 2-3 meters because by that time all the day trippers are in the water and with easily 75+ divers on the wreck by around 8.30am, there is so much crap kicked up that you can barely see a couple of meters in front of you.
2 or 3 meters visibility? That's worse than the worst dive I had on the wreck, and at that time there were 1,5 meter waves and really hard entry conditions... and very few divers around.
Since it's a medium deep water dive with corals around, divers are barely a factor for decreasing the viz, it's mostly the sea conditions that are driving the visibility on the wreck. I've not had optimal conditions all the times but i frequently enjoyed 15-20m viz probably the worst was 7-8m once or twice (you can see my pics in my Flickr gallery, where some wide angle proves viz conditions can be good.
What time of the year are you diving it? Mine where mostly in august, which btw is not optimal (september - october much better).

As a self-proclaimed expert who offers to give advice on Indonesian dive trips to novices, I am surprised that you did not already know about their eBook. Here is a link to help your advice-provision in future: https://www.vilondo.com/things-to-do...-diving-ebook/ It is on the very web site that you found. They rank Menjangan up there with Tulamben.
.. and if you read about Nusa Penida you will only see 3 dives sites : crystal bay, Manta point and Blue corner. This is just laughable : where are Toyapakeh, SD, Buyuk, Mangroves, etc (See also Gekodive answer above FYI)

4) I see that Vilongo mentions that most divers choose to stay at Amed, rather than Tulamben. I presume they are incorrect in that also.
Why do you think there are so many dive resorts in Tulamben, many many more than Amed? Do you seriously think it's because they like to bankrupt and they don't know where the divers are lodging? I'll let you do your own conclusion.

I would be VERY keen to photograph Weedy and Lazy scorpionfish.
Then just stay on Bali/Padang Bai for Weedy scorpionfish, aka rhinopias frondosa, it's your better bet with Ambon and Alor.
.. and for Lacey scorpionfish (Lacey, not like "lazy" for the divers who are too lazy to browse the web for correct information), it's not a specie you will encounter in South East Asia you need to go to PNG and South Pacific to see some.
Very seldom public transport to Bangka btw, unlike Bunaken where there are scheduled ferries or always a boat leaving from Manado harbor, probably the only possibility I see would be from Likupang (2 hours ride from the Airport), a crossing to Bangka but then after you would need another boat to get to your lodging, since accoms are limited, only 4 or 5 operations. Nothing like Bunaken again.

You see Pedro, I don't think irony will lead you anywhere, a little humility with your small amount of dives and knowledge of the area might have been a safer way, would you rather ridicule yourself?
It's over with me, I would hate to mislead you. :eyebrow:
Keep on reading "Vilondo", good enough for you. :D

Last edited:
Good luck getting to Sangihe without a rare Liveaboard trip going there - and dont expect much in the way of choices of budget to luxury LOBs. My own trip there was basically camping on a boat at sea.

As Luko has eluded above Bangka and Bunaken are two different animals.

You will likely be provided with transport from Manado mainland to Bangka by the op you have booked your accommodation with. Your chance of seeing Tarsiers on Bangka is almost zero - they are well up in the forests and to the best of my memory Bangka is not a trekking island with guides - Tangkoko is organised. Wandering around Bangka island in the jungle by yourself may be an easy way to get lost so I probably wouldnt recommend it, from a person who has been geographically embarassed more than once. There is (was?) a cuscus around one of the dive ops at one stage.

Luko you got me thinking, I really enjoy SD and Toyapekah and Buyuk..do many ops dive them regularly nowdays?

Luko you got me thinking, I really enjoy SD and Toyapekah and Buyuk..do many ops dive them regularly nowdays?
Many dive ops from Lembongan do. i've repeatedly asked for Toyapakeh with Twofish on NL and each time we went, Personally I find it's the best dive in Nusa Penida.
Gekodive in Padang Bai also does Toyapakeh and SD, not sure with Buyuk.

and every single time the viz has been on the order of 2-3 meters because by that time all the day trippers are in the water and with easily 75+ divers on the wreck by around 8.30am, there is so much crap kicked up that you can barely see a couple of meters in front of you.

Tulamben and the Jetty is my fav. site; practically every year we visit Tulamben, probably will visit again on end of Dec. or early January 2016.
and I have more than 60 dives in the wreck (and slope) only - including in December and January, but never the viz drop below 6m. Of course we chose other location when there's flooding on the small river next mimpi resort or Melasti.8 separate trip and all 2-3 meters viz; You must be cursed by Tulamben's gods.

Did you pee on the banyan tree on the area?:D

Many dive ops from Lembongan do. i've repeatedly asked for Toyapakeh with Twofish on NL and each time we went, Personally I find it's the best dive in Nusa Penida.
Gekodive in Padang Bai also does Toyapakeh and SD, not sure with Buyuk.
Yes, we do dive Buyuk as well regularly. Gamat Bay or Blue Corner are also on the program when the conditions allow it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom