Diving Indonesia in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two options :
- you have to go to Tulamben to check by yourself.
- speak to more experienced guys, next time (you can speak to me for instance :blinking: )

After 15 years diviing two or three times a year in Indonesia (of which 7 times in Bali in almost all the dive spots around and off the island, 3 times in Bunaken, 6 times in Bangka, 4 times in Lembeh ), my opinion is that Bunaken isn't worth more than 2 days diving while you can spend two weeks and more diving Bali.

That said I agree with you that Menjangan is not worth at all, no fish... but READ THIS : this is absolutely no comparison with the other spots in Bali, you won't have any pelagics in Bunaken like on Gili Mimpang, Tepekong or around Nusa Penida/Lembongan. No such amazing wreck like the Liberty in Tulamben, no great muck diving like Seraya, Melasti or the liberty slope in Tulamben, no rhinopias like on Padang Bai jetty, No live coral and gorgonians like in Amed, I could go on and on for hours...

Anyway since you've been to north Sulawesi without diving Bangka you probably missed a lot on knowing what is a lively reef. You should return to both N/Sulawesi and Bali and do some serious diving.
Also did a 4-day liveaboard in Komodo on the same trip. I chose it because across many U/W web sites Komodos ranked VERY high on a global scale. Yet there were things I saw in Bunaken that Komodos could not match .... like 200+ schooling red-tooth triggers; like some of the best snorkeling ever on Siladen. I rank the Bunaken Park only a few points behind Komodo. I also enjoyed the Spectral tarsiers and hornbills of Tangkoko plus the 'alternativeness' of Lembe. I found the combination of the 3 to be a very enjoyable package.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy them in your pursuit of serious diving. I did. I found them all quite serious enough.

And I found the calm and lack of in-your-face tourism of N. Sulawesi to be so much more pleasant than frenetic Bali. My Bunaken dive buddy had previously done Nusa Lembongan. He loved the solitude on the Bunaken walls versus being buried by novice divers on Lembongan. I also see that Vilondo ranks Menjangan, Tulamben, Amuk and Nusa Lembongan as equals.

Just shows - there is something for everyone on this planet - different degrees of seriousness for different folks. Otherwise everywhere would be a Nusa L. stampede.

Your U/W photos are beautiful.

And I found the calm and lack of in-your-face tourism of N. Sulawesi to be so much more pleasant than frenetic Bali. My Bunaken dive buddy had previously done Nusa Lembongan. He loved the solitude on the Bunaken walls versus being buried by novice divers on Lembongan. I also see that Vilondo ranks Menjangan, Tulamben, Amuk and Nusa Lembongan as equals.

Good for you you liked Bunaken, at least next you'll dive Indonesia you'll be AMAZED with what you will see.

The problem of quoting what the man heard from the man who took it from the man etc. is that it's often quiet a distance for the reality, when you talk about "the solitude of Bunaken Walls" ( ... wow, that should have been such a day to be alone on Likuan ) and people being "buried with novice divers" and for instance I am thinking of Likuan vs. Toyapakeh or SD did you see many divers on Toyapakeh, really?), that makes me smiles a bit and reveals a lot about your friend. Do you how many dive operation there are taking daily trips to Bunaken from Manado? Seriously?

As i didn't know what Vilondo is so I googled and found a site that rents villas in Seminyak or Kuta... what a reference, these people may never have dived of their own life, Vanity Fair or The Bali Gourmet might have been better references.
So yeah, I suppose if you are a vacationer and you have dived Indonesia for the first time, you may have your opinion, but once again given your limited experience, I suggest you keep your eyes open and browse through this board where there are many people who have dived Indonesia more or less extensively (including me) and who may have a different view from their FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. :wink:

What worries me more is that you're giving a very biased overview of Bali diving if anyone that doesn't know read this. And the problem is that you get your conclusions almost out of thin air... this is why I am taking the time to reply.
Otherwise I would have been slightly amused on how you came to such assertive opinions to be honest. :D

Yet there were things I saw in Bunaken that Komodos could not match .... like 200+ schooling red-tooth triggers

You mean like in the background of this image? This can be a really common sighting on some sites. Nothing to call home about if you ask me.

8405754755_4e0512b4bf_z.jpg

And I found the calm and lack of in-your-face tourism of N. Sulawesi to be so much more pleasant than frenetic Bali. My Bunaken dive buddy had previously done Nusa Lembongan. He loved the solitude on the Bunaken walls versus being buried by novice divers on Lembongan.

Otherwise everywhere would be a Nusa L. stampede.
Talking of reefs on North Nusa Lembongan or Penida as being a stampede where one is buried by novice divers does make it sound like you are on crack. Manta Point and Crystal Bay get crowded in high season, but any good dive operator should be able to get you diving without other boats on dive sites that beat any that I've been lucky to dive on in Bunaken. Mimpang, Tepekong, Biaha or the "good" sites in Padangbai (dived by local shops) all afford some very lonely dives all year through with great sightings of large animals.

It's a pity that you focused on Menjangan and Pemuteran in Bali... You really ought to try Bali again!

You folks have me confused. :)

If I don't make it back to Raja Ampat in late January, I intend to go to Lembeh and hopefully Bangka based on recommendations from Wingy and Luko. Further, everyone says to do the Tulamben wreck but I don't like wrecks particularly. Is it preferable that I like wrecks to enjoy the site?

Bangka bangka bangka :wink: From your dive history Chilly I dont know that you would be that amazed and gobsmacked by Tulumben wreck......personally Im not a fan. Im not a real wreck fan to begin with, hate shore diving and those black rocks down to the wreck didnt help. I found the Tulumben wreck over crowded - yes I know people say it depends on the time you dive, get there before the dayboats...but seeing around 20 divers at 5am and the same amount at midnight didnt really give me that feel of yay i got here before the crowds. There are no crowds on Bangka.

As a wreck itself .. again didnt blow my mind. Yes its bigger than the Alma Jane in Sabang, but I found a lot more frogfish and nudis covering the Alma Jane. It isnt a patch on the Yongala day or night. Its been a long time since I dived the Coolidge but my memory seems to hold it bigger better lots more penetration and less divers. Ive dived other wrecks but those three spring to mind...and unfortunately the King Cruiser which to me is Thailands equivalent of the Liberty. Again, Just my own personal opinion.

I know some people have had mixed feelings about Bangka due to the down currents and upwellings and waves - I kind of think of Bangka like this..it can be a very very badly behaved dive site at the wrong time, but when its good, woah yeah!!

There is a reason people like Luko and I (and no, I do not personally know Luko to the best of my knowledge) rave on so much about Bangka.

You're my guru!! Thanks! :worship:

LOL Chilli i kinda get this vibe we may like the same type of diving - no guru just searching for those yesss dive spots a little out of the ordinary. Would be neat to blow some bubbles with you one day.

From your dive history Chilly I dont know that you would be that amazed and gobsmacked by Tulumben wreck......personally Im not a fan. Im not a real wreck fan to begin with, hate shore diving and those black rocks down to the wreck didnt help. I found the Tulumben wreck over crowded - yes I know people say it depends on the time you dive, get there before the dayboats...but seeing around 20 divers at 5am and the same amount at midnight didnt really give me that feel of yay i got here before the crowds. There are no crowds on Bangka.

As a wreck itself .. again didnt blow my mind. Yes its bigger than the Alma Jane in Sabang, but I found a lot more frogfish and nudis covering the Alma Jane. It isnt a patch on the Yongala day or night. Its been a long time since I dived the Coolidge but my memory seems to hold it bigger better lots more penetration and less divers. Ive dived other wrecks but those three spring to mind...and unfortunately the King Cruiser which to me is Thailands equivalent of the Liberty. Again, Just my own personal opinion.
For once that's where YMMV with mine :wink: ...

I love the Liberty because... this is not a wreck, rather an extraordinarily baroque reef, colorful on the structure with tons of muck just meters off its hull.
providing you're not diving at 10AM sharp with the Sanur zombies, this wreck is big enough to accomodate 20 divers while not even noticing each others, providing you get a private guide and this is where Bali is fantastic, a bit Philippines like. Good local guides are almost everywhere.

As much as I love diving Bangka with my friend Aswar, I really appreciate Tulamben for the sense of freedom it gives, just you and your guide, not need to wait for a boat no need to plan anything, change the dive plan just before because you feel more wide angle than macro, you can dive 3 times the same spot, spend a full dive on a rare nudibranch.. etc.
Of course Sahaung beats the Liberty wreck, but that said it's still a very good dive for me (if you go to my gallery I have a specific album for the Liberty wreck that I probably dived some 30 times), it was probably better 4 or 5 years ago at the time of the resident jackfish school, but still high enjoyable, I reckon.

Wingy, I wouldn't compare it to Sabang's wreck, firstly it is more impressive, a good guide will find intersting stuff everytime (last time a dragon shrimp and a few phyllodesmium I had only seen in Anilao and Lembeh) and the liberty slope is much more interesting than anything around in Sabang.
The Coolidge is a PURE wreck, a kind of universe in itself, reminds me of Alien movie with gigantic holds. there's drama you cannot find in the Liberty, but critter and fish wise the Coolidge is worth zilch. Although I think every diver must dive the Coolidge, never had that impression before.

I haven't dived the Yongala but it's high on my bucketlist.

Personally I rate the Liberty much higher than the red sea wrecks, more life much more interest to me, I am not a metalhead.

Wingy, perhaps we'll be able to work something out this "winter". I'll be based out of Singapore for 3 months, with only one firm dive obligation so far. Let's talk if you're able to get away during that window. I'd love it.

Last edited:
Luko - you almost made me want to give the Liberty another try with those words - this is not a wreck, rather an extraordinarily baroque reef, colorful on the structure with tons of muck just meters off its hull - what a beautiful description.

Ive been thinking on this for a few hours....perhaps due to my absolute dislike of shore diving is a factor in my opinion of the Liberty. I realised its the only wreck - and im not much of a metalhead either - that has required me to shore dive it. I know most people dive the Coolidge from shore but I was crewing on a boat so dived it from the other side out of the tender. Ahhh but you must see my Yongala, your description would aptly fit her.

I guess thats where diving is like icecream - some folks love raspberry ripple, some folks love vanilla, sometimes we both like choc chip......LOL I just realised I dont eat icecream either!.

Chilly - will keep that in mind, thinking of resigning, leaving my children to fend for themselves and wandering the earth diving for the next year .........and then returning home to be a broke bum peddling sunglasses on the beach.

Back
Top Bottom