Diving Indonesia in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myvek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

Which dive spots in Indonesia are in season in December? And what kind of fish life do they offer - pelagics? macro?

Many thanks for any help!

Although it should be rainy season in December, here in Bali we don't really have any dive sites that aren't diveable in December. Maybe reduced visibility at some sites (like Tulamben) but warmer waters :D

From Undercurrent.org's Indonesia Seasonal Dive Planner:

Your diving Indonesia experience will probably be enhanced if you plan around the wet monsoon season, generally December through the middle of March, in many areas; though Raja Ampat diving is generally better and more popular then due to calmer seas.

Indonesia is known more for its macro life than for pelagics, but it is difficult to generalize about such a vast country with so much coast.

December is prime season in Raja Ampat ... if you're into rich, healthy reefs, schooling fish, and a maximum number of species of fish and corals, it's world class. Everything from macro to mantas and some sharks, but if you're looking for full on pelagics, it might not be all you want. But among the world's best dive sites. Don't pass it up in December.

Our dive guide told us, "Rainy season in Raja Ampat ... all year." But in late November/early December, I have no complaints about the weather we had. Some afternoon and night showers, but mostly sunny, and great diving.

Hi Myvek,

Like Amanda said, the diving here in Bali is year round although the famous Oceanic Sunfish only arrive between late July and Early November. We have a great variety of Macro life here in Bali, everything from Giant Mantas at Manta Point Bali Dive Sites | Manta Point to amazing Macro Locations on the East Coast of Bali such as Seraya Secrets Bali Dive Sites | Seraya .

No matter how long your stay in Bali you will never get bored of the endless dive sites that are available to you!

BLUE SEASON BALI
Diving Bali | Dive Courses Bali
PADI Member Award Winner 2010; Outstanding Dive Center 2010
Commitment to Instructor Development 2010

Raja Ampat has to be seen to be believed. I think the Chinese and Japanese trawlors have been through as there are no sharks left except Epaulettes but luckily everything else is in abundance. We had 15 Mantas one 1 dive but what was better is after the dive the RIBs kept dropping us in their path as the fed. Incredible.

Also consider Lembeh for the world's best macro - there is nothing as satisfying as rummaging around in black sand!

I can't think of a place from central to eastern Indonesia that you can't dive in December. Generally speaking, the sea touching Indian Ocean starts to get rough in mid December, but still dive-able.

I'll second highdesert in saying that December is prime season for Raja Ampat.

I've been to Bali twice in November/ December (08/09) and found it excellent diving. From the dive sites i've been to - Padang Bai, Tulamben, Kubu, Secret Bay (Macro!), Menjangan and around Nusa Penida I think I enjoyed Nusa Penida most. Guaranteed Mantas at 'Manta Point' (sic!), pelagic sealife in abundance all around the island. Did a lot of amazing drift dives there, although the current can get tough at some spots, e.g. Blue Corner or Crystal Bay.

When it comes to dive shops in Bali I'd recommend BlueBubble Bali, since Christian arranges individual trips exactly according to your expectations. Located in Padang Bai he covers the whole island including Nusa Penida.

However, what turned out to be the most stunning overall package was staying at the island Nusa Lembongan and diving Nusa Penida - drastically shortening travel time to the dive sites and inceasing the overall experience: Most beautiful beaches I've seen in Bali (you'll need a scooter though) and a much more laid back atmosphere compared to other places I stayed at. There are about five dive shops located at Nusa Lembongan, I had chosen a pretty basic one (located at the far end of the beach towards the light house, next to the decent Linda Bungalows) - great value since we were only two divers + guide all the time. Forgot the name though, guess they don't have a website.

Cheers, max

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom