Diving in West Palm Beach Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those limitations are pretty common around here. I know that the dive ops I mentioned above all generally expect the Nitrox divers to be back on the surface at the 53 minute mark. At 80-90 feet, most divers are getting pretty close to their NDL anyway or are running low on gas.

These were reef dives though, not even close my my NDL and 1500psi in the tank. Since I knew up front they were reef dives, I did not spend the extra $ on nitrox, thinking it would make no difference (technically). I learned my lesson and wanted to pass this info to other visitors, don't be cheap pay the extra for Nitrox for that extra 10 minutes.

These were reef dives though, not even close my my NDL and 1500psi in the tank. Since I knew up front they were reef dives, I did not spend the extra $ on nitrox, thinking it would make no difference (technically). I learned my lesson and wanted to pass this info to other visitors, don't be cheap pay the extra for Nitrox for that extra 10 minutes.

I am guessing that you must have been diving the Breakers at 60 feet or so since you weren't close to getting into deco. Many of the other reefs like South Double Ledges in WPB and many of the Jupiter reefs are in the 80-90 foot range (some a little deeper, some a little shallower) where many divers would be pushing their NDL after 50 minutes or so with 32% Nitrox: especially on their second dive. The time limit imposed on the shallower reefs does suck: especially with a big tank and not being close to the NDL. But I suppose the dive boats do need to make money and turn their boats around for the afternoon dive trips. In Pompano, the dive ops generally have the same time limits even though some of the reefs are in 25-30 feet.

Your advice on the use of Nitrox makes sense given the time limits imposed by the dive boats

Hey Lynn, I just got back from WPB. Shoot me a message next time you're planning on going. Be sure to post a trip report when you get back. Which LDS are you going with? I'm right up north of you in SC.

Just sent you a PM... Now i see you are in Hilton Head... I need a dive buddy close LOL..

I am guessing that you must have been diving the Breakers at 60 feet or so since you weren't close to getting into deco. Many of the other reefs like South Double Ledges in WPB and many of the Jupiter reefs are in the 80-90 foot range (some a little deeper, some a little shallower) where many divers would be pushing their NDL after 50 minutes or so with 32% Nitrox: especially on their second dive. The time limit imposed on the shallower reefs does suck: especially with a big tank and not being close to the NDL. But I suppose the dive boats do need to make money and turn their boats around for the afternoon dive trips. In Pompano, the dive ops generally have the same time limits even though some of the reefs are in 25-30 feet.

Your advice on the use of Nitrox makes sense given the time limits imposed by the dive boats

Excellent guess on the location, Breakers + Trench at pretty close to low tide.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom