diving in Vietnam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danielplongeur

Registered
Reaction score
First question: Can anyone tell me about the diving in Vietnam? I've read that there are operations in Nha Trang, Danang and Hoi An, as well as some on the southwest coast close to the Cambodian border, but I'd be very interested in useful feedback, recommendations, etc.

I'm a veteran and just recently returned to VN (on a group tour) for the first time in 35 years. I would very much like to go back soon, and diving is part of my motivation. Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

Si vous parlez francais et avez des renseignements utiles a me donner, vous pourrez m'ecrire en francais ou en anglais. Je vous en remercie.

i moved part of your post here to get you answers from the locals

I didn't think much of hte diving in Nha Trang. It seemed like a lot of dead coral and had very few fish. The fish I did see were cool (including a really huge moray) but not cool enough to go back. If you're going to be there and want to get wet it will be fun but it's not a place to go to dive.

I spent sometime on the beach at Hoi Ann but the water there is like pea soup. Similar colour to the Mekong. I don't think it's diveable. Maybe off shore but I didnt' see any diving operations. I've read about the islands in the southwest near cambodia but I haven't dived there or talked to anyone who has. I seem to remember readign that they were a little remote.

Enjoy your trip.

Not all of the info posted here is correct, for family reasons I have been to Vietnam 7 times(wife is from Vietnam), there are several dive operators who are PADI operations in Nha Trang, Jeremy Stien's Rainbow DIvers, Octopus/Sailing Club Divers, I think are the 2 best w/ Blue Divers being slightly less good although they do seem quite safe. CocoDivers was delisted from PADI recently, my understanding is they had too many accidents. There are also several other operations in Nha Trang that are pretty sketchy. I think 2 fun dives w/ gear rental is in the $30-35 range. I did my AOW w/ Sailing Club and found them to be quite good. Water conditions in Vietnam vary w/ the rains, if you are diving after a storm has dumped a bunch of muck from a local river into the sea, don't waste your money. If the weather has been good, the water is warm I typically recorded temps at 27C at 30m. The heavily dived areas around Hon Mun Island are showing wear, and there is some coral bleaching. The less frequently used areas can have really nice reef enviorments. I think it's important to pick a dive operator your comfortable with, I think any of the 3 I have mentioned at the top will give you a good experience, they all have shops along the main road along the beach. Other areas of the country have dive operations being setup, I know there was one around Phan Rang, I think Rainbow has setup an operation on Phu Quoc Island on the Cambodian border, I just took a quick peek at the map that link that was posted above it also showed Con Doa Island as having an op. Con Dao was used as a penal colony and I beleive still has a military base. Getting there used to be a pain, you had to bribe your way onto a naval vessel, but it seems now there are easier ways. I have heard there are things being setup towards Hoi An. PM me if you want more info or my personal recommendations.

I think NhaTrang is good for diving.Maybe NhaTrang not so good when you compare with Thailand.But NhaTrang have many colourful corals and fish.The water warm and visibility good.NhaTrang have 3 PADI 5 Star Dive Center :
Rainbow Divers : http://www.divevietnam.com
Blue Diving Club : http://www.vietnam-diving.com
Sailing Club Diver : I don't know thier website, sorry.

I did my dive with Blue Diving Club.They're good, very pro and friendly.Thier staffs always smile and warmly. I like them !
If you diving in HoiAn or Danang, you can contact with Rainbow, they're also very good.
Have a good diving !

To jiveturkey : I think you have many prejudice with Vietnam.I have see some your post about vietnam.All to say no good for Vietnam.Why ? Can you explain it please ?

I tend to think like jiveturkey. If you are in Vietnam and want to get wet, there are places for it, but don't expect too much (compare to what is available in the region).
Nevertheless, I went to Whale island (l' ile de la baleine) from Nha Trang. I never saw so many and so huge nudibranches anywhere in the region.

Have been teaching a couple of courses in Nha Trang, but don't think much of the diving there. Often bad vis, not very attractive corals, not many fish and while I was there lots of dynamite fishing going on. Good for macro life though.

I would not go there for diving, but would not mind a days of diving while I was there.

CrazyWolf:
To jiveturkey : I think you have many prejudice with Vietnam.I have see some your post about vietnam.All to say no good for Vietnam.Why ? Can you explain it please ?

First of all, I don't have any prejudice against Vietnam. I've been there twice and I think it's a beautiful country. I don't have good things to say about the diving because I don't think it's good. Pretty simple eh? It's funny too because some people agree with me. The guy asked a question and I gave an honest opinion. I'm not into marketing and unlike some people I have nothing to sell. For me, this is just a discussion forum.

And thanks for taking the time to write my name in red. I understand that's a real nice thing to do over this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom