Best Diving in Thailand and Vietnam??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loucas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am going to be travelling across Thailand and Vietnam in November and December 2012 and would like to know where the best place is to go diving. I am a first time diver, however I have snorkelled, done a little free diving and very confident in the water. So far on my list, I have The Similans and Hin Daeng (2 hours north of Phuket) and Hin Muang (which i think is close to Krabi) I have also looked at Nha Trang in Vietnam. Any Advice?? Apparently Phuket is good too.

Am I right in saying that on the West coast of Thailand I am more likely to see the bigger fish, i.e. Rays. Whereas in Vietnam its more smaller tropical fish?

This probably isnt relevent here, but in terms of itinerary, i’m confused on how to do it. I start in Bangkok, and need to decide whether to start north or south. I’m leaning towards starting in the north.

So stay for a few nights in Bangkok, overnight sleeper train to Chaing Mai (will do rafting, elephant ride, trekking etc) then make my way across to Chang Rai then across Laos into Vietnam (what is the Visa situation with these 2) i believe I will have to get Vietnam Visa in Bangkok, and Laos can be on the border, is that right?

So first stop in Nam is Hanoi, then off to Ha long to spend a day or two on the junk boats checking out the bay. Then start heading south, stopping at Hue, Nha Trang, Hoi An (suits), HCMC/Saigon. Total of 2 weeks should be enough in Vietnam i think. From HCMC i think i will make my way back to Thailand, checking out the islands on the south east coast, Ko Chang, Ko Khlum, Ko Wai, Ko Mak and Ko Kut. Then across to Pattaya, then finally south to all the main Islands. Finally back up to Bangkok for a few more days, then off home.

Rough timings are:
3days Bangkok
3to4 days Chang Mai
1to2 days Chang Rai
1day travelling to Vietnam
2 days Hanoi
3 days Ha Long Bay
Hue, Nha Trang and Hoi an (depending on which i like best, maybe 1 week all together)
1to2 days HCMC/Saigon
2to3 days Thailand South East coast
1to2 days Pattaya
1 day travelling to south West of Island
3days Ko Tao
3days Ko Pha-ngan (full moon party)
3days Ko Samui
4 days Phuket and surrounding islands.
Depending on time, maybe go further south to Lipe.
Back up to Bangkok and home.

Have i missed anything out, any advice, any changes i should make??? I would like to get away from the tourist trail, see some wildlife and maybe touch a tiger cub, any suggestions?

Any help and advice is much appreciated. Btw, I would love to get around by motorbike, but do they do one way rentals there, or do i need to return to the same place??

Thanks again.

3days Bangkok
3to4 days Chang Mai
1to2 days Chang Rai
1day travelling to Vietnam
2 days Hanoi
3 days Ha Long Bay
Hue, Nha Trang and Hoi an (depending on which i like best, maybe 1 week all together)
1to2 days HCMC/Saigon
2to3 days Thailand South East coast
1to2 days Pattaya
1 day travelling to south West of Island
3days Ko Tao
3days Ko Pha-ngan (full moon party)
3days Ko Samui
Depending on time, maybe go further south to Lipe.
Back up to Bangkok and home.

Have i missed anything out, any advice, any changes i should make??? I would like to get away from the tourist trail, see some wildlife and maybe touch a tiger cub, any suggestions?

Sorry to say but this is the tourist trail! I'd try the lonelyplanet thorntree for some ideas.

Koh Tao is a very popular place for OW courses. 3 days will be tight for a good OW course. Consider PADI Scuba Diver in one place and an upgrade to OW in another.

I agree that LP will give you more of the answers you seek regarding routes, transportation options, visa crossings, etc.

I will say, though, that your geography is off a bit. You indicate that you want to do water sports on the west coast, specifically at Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Similans, Phuket. These are all in the Andaman Sea/Indian Ocean. But your travel itinerary doesn't allow time for you to travel to that side of Thailand--all of your island route, from Pattaya, as I interpret your description, will be in the Gulf of Thailand/Pacific Ocean, because Pattaya, is on the Gulf, and from there you get to Koh Tao and Koh Samui.
Thailand, checking out the islands on the south east coast, Ko Chang, Ko Khlum, Ko Wai, Ko Mak and Ko Kut. Then across to Pattaya, then finally south to all the main Islands....
3days Ko Samui
To get to the Andaman Sea after Samui, you could fly from Samui to Phuket or Krabi, or you could get a ferry to the coast and then take a shared ride van or a bus southwest across to the west coast. You need to include transfer time (a day) for that crossing.

Next, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are together, south of Koh Lanta; neither is north of Phuket. They are not snorkeling sites, and they are also too challenging for new divers. Near Koh Lanta you could go to Koh Haa for snorkeling or easy diving. The Similans and Surins are fine for snorkelers, but going on a dedicated snorkeling trip rather than joining a dive trip would be most enjoyable for a non-diver like you. Many of the locations that dive boats will select for divers to visit are not really good for snorkelers, though there are usually snorkel sites nearby that you could get to with the dive boat's dinghy. Depending on the time of year, it's possible see manta rays while snorkeling at Koh Bon in the Similans National Park, but November/December is a little early, most years.

Touch a tiger cub? Ride an elephant? There is absolutely NOTHING more touristy than these two, unless it's the full moon party! Your proposed route tells me that you are planning a trip on what we call the "backpacker highway." EVERY 20-something Thailand tourist has a very similar itinerary in mind. With this schedule, you will definitely not
get away from the tourist trail
Motor scooter rentals are all local. Plus the distances you are talking about are huge.

Thanks for the advice. I did get my geography wrong when talking about the Similans and Hin Daeng/Muang. I think i will leave the later as it seems far south, and as you said it looks like its really only for experienced divers, and overnight stay is a must. Looks like Similans it is, even though it does seem more expensive than most places.

Yes there are some touristy things i want to do, and also some non touristy things. But an elephant is a must as I have never even come close.

I am starting to debate whether i should fly rather than go by land everywhere. Think i may mix between the two. Just worried of finding expensive flights as I will probably leave it late and book whilst I am out there

Air Asia offers cheap flights, and you buy direct from the airline online or at special sales points. For the elephant experience, if you want something more meaningful, go to the Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai. It's really the only one that treats elephants with any respect. You cannot ride an elephant there, but you do interact with them. Here's a link: Elephant Nature Park - elephant rescue and rehabilitation center in Northern Thailand

Thanks for the advice. I did get my geography wrong when talking about the Similans and Hin Daeng/Muang. I think i will leave the later as it seems far south, and as you said it looks like its really only for experienced divers, and overnight stay is a must. Looks like Similans it is, even though it does seem more expensive than most places.

Yes there are some touristy things i want to do, and also some non touristy things. But an elephant is a must as I have never even come close.

I am starting to debate whether i should fly rather than go by land everywhere. Think i may mix between the two. Just worried of finding expensive flights as I will probably leave it late and book whilst I am out there
Best way to dive Similans would be by liveaboard, preferably a minimum trip length of 4 days/4 nights.

Regarding elephants, there are quite a few nice places up North in the Chiang Mai area. But there is also a good one in Prachuap Kirikhan, so South Thailand, away from the tourist trail and fitting much better into your planning.

Hey there,

Your itinerary looks jam packed, and as supergaijin points out, not far removed from the tourist trail at all! You'l probably get the most in terms of less touristy stuff in your time up north.Chiang Mai and Pai are amazing, with lots of culture, plus fun activities like elephant trekking and river rafting. I'd be prepared to be flexible with spending more time in places like this if you feel the need to stay longer, and sacrifice days from later in your itinerary in places that may serve as a disappointment (sorry for any offence to those who live/visit often but Pattaya comes to mind here!).

Also you probably don't need 3 days in Koh Tao, Samui and Phangan. An overnighter in Samui, 2 at best is all you need. Its a much bigger, significantly more developed and generally tackier island that the others. Bear in mind that if you are going to the FMP on Phangan many accommodation providers will insist on at least 3, but sometimes up to 5 night minimum stay to secure your booking. And you'd need an absolute minimum of nights on Tao if getting your license here is still on the cards. But you'd have very little free time to explore on that schedule.

In terms of Vietnam diving, I'd say it would be disappointing compared to other options on your list. Nha trang is the only place we have first hand experience of, and its not as good as the other locations you're visiting in terms of corals or marine life (duller, less colourful reefs and less fish in general).

Hope this helps. Happy holidays and good luck with your dive cert. If you find yourself needing further Koh Tao info, feel free to PM me :)

<snip>
Hope this helps. Happy holidays and good luck with your dive cert. If you find yourself needing further Koh Tao info, feel free to PM me :)
I would presume that the 2 years that have passed since the post would be sufficient to sort out the dive certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom