Diving in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Nitrox Babe,

I regularly dive with some friends from Edinburgh and from there you can easily reach places like St Abbs on the west coast (great for marine life) or Oban, Clyde (great for wrecks) or a long trip further north to Scapa Flow to see the scuttled German Fleet.

If you want more info goto www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk and ask the same question there. There are a number of Scottish divers on the board and they can give you chapter and verse on diving Scotland.

As for Ireland, I've never done it but the SW and W coasts are supposed to be excellent, loads of wrecks and some fabulous scenic dives. I'm trying to do some diving over there myself this year which will be a whole lot easier as I'm about to start working for an Irish company.

HTH

Tim

Hi nitroxbabe, there are some very popular east coast dive sites within commuter distance. St Abbs, Eyemouth, Farne Islands, North Berwick, if the weathers poor you are not far from the sheltered west coast lochs. Oban, Scapa, St Kilda etc are further afield, for extended weekends. On the west coast we need dry suits and good torches but you can dive every day no matter what the weather. Places like Cape Wrath are renowned for the water clarity, unfortunatly isn't on my doorstep.

I was taught to dive in the Firth of Clyde near to Glasgow. Although some dive sites were a nightmare (the docks) some were fantastic such as Inverkip and off Largs.
I will say that my training was police related and so was not particularly aimed at scenic diving, but those places were great. Plenty to see and do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom