Diving in the Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puffergirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I'm a beginner diver (just got my PADI OW cert). I'm in Thailand, and really contemplating doing a liveaboard to the Similan Islands. But it seems that those who are going there have all clocked about 600-1000+ dives. If I do go, I'd be adding the Advanced OW into the package, but am hoping for advice on whether this is a good idea - at my level, am I going to be 'missing out' on too much of the Similans to make the trip worthwhile? Should I do my AOW somewhere else (maybe Philippinnes?) and save the big Similans trip for when I am more experienced?

Advice appreciated :)

GO FOR IT!

I did my AOW on a Liveaboard in the Similan (SeaDragon, the small boat: exellent). I had at the time 10 or 15 dive logged before.
I fully enjoyed it, one of my best experience so far!
It secured my addiction to diving and I hope it will do the same for you!

Keep us posted.

PS. If you want to see some pics (topside): Greg et mic en balade , page Thailande

gregorio - thanks for your feedback! i've heard so much about the Similans, and can't wait. I was thinking of doing the 4day Similan liveaboard+AOW with DiveAsia, since I also got my OW cert with them. The package has 14 dives total (5 of which would be for my AOW). They quoted the price at around $800-850 total - does this sound reasonable?

Puffergirl,

Sounds like a good deal & the AOW course is well suited to allow you to enjoy all the dives. I was in the Similans last month. Once your in 30+vis it will just overtake your senses. I really liked the night dives. Just imagine turning on a flashlight and seeing 30m (100ft) in all directions. I did some night dives before the Similans, but this was truly special for me.

Good luck,

Arizona

Hey, my bro and I are going in Feb. We both have about 25 dives under our belt. So go for it. We got certified in Palau in 2006 and we did our last dive of our ow cert at the Blue Corner w/the current and all. Have fun!

My comment is "!" - I've not dived there, but what I have read does not make Blue Corner sound like an ideal training dive for Open Water students!

The scariest part for me was when we hit the water. Looking to my right, the big blue fading to black as you looked down, to the left the wall. The DI was working with just me and my brother and was confident with our skills. No reef hooks were required as the current was not as strong as it "usually" is. We were able to hold on to rocks and watch the action. I guess ignorance is bliss because since diving there, i've heard of divers being swept off the wall towards the shoreline.

I have been there a few tiems, and have taught an AOW class in the Similans. The dive sites are almost perfect for teaching everytime I have been up there. Don't miss the chance to do this trip.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom