Diving in the Outerbanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need some advice! I am charge of activities for our family reunion in July. Four of us are certified and 4 want to do a discover diving day. Does anyone know if there is a shop that would offer this? I am looking for some easy diving for the newbies. Also is there good snorkeling for the non-divers?

OBX Dive Center in Nags Head tends to cater to newer divers (they cancelled a payed/scheduled U-85 dive with me because they had a bunch of newbies wanting to dive). I ended up going with them anyway, and had a good time. They run a cattle boat, but the crew was very friendly and catered to the customers. I will dive with them again this summer.

The Outer Banks Dive Center philosophy is simple

There isn't much for snorkling; however, the Triangle wrecks is just a short swim from the shore (Mile Post 7). I think the deepest part of the wreck was only 16ft last summer. I took an inflatable kayak to it, but OBX Dive has guided swims. A nearby lifeguard pointed out the general location and it was marked with a tiny buoy.

I don't think you will find anyone down there doing a discover scuba experience, just no where to do it. In Va. Beach it will only be done in a pool by the 2 shops here.
Which is a shame, seeing how we did it in Cozumel & got us hooked.
Snorkeling is typically a no go unless you are into freediving.
The Outer Banks encompasses quite a large area, if you are in the Nags Head/ Corolla area Bill at Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina is the choice & a good 1.
But if you are further south try Hatteras, bluer, warmer water with wreck choices from 60fsw to well over 200fsw are within easy reach. 2 ops run there but are both 6 packs, there is no longer a dive shop with the cattle boat. Dave with DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best! or JT with Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site who both do a great job.

I had a pretty good experience with OBX when I stayed in the Outer Banks. Real big on safety, very professional and fun shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom