Diving in the Ohio Region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cincycolerain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are new to diving and have been on a few trips last year while on a cruise.

Is there any dive areas or clubs that anyone can recommend near Cincinnati? I am trying to find some places we can go with a group on weekend trips. We are doing another cruise in July. We would feel more confident, if we could make a few weekend trips before hitting the ocean dives.

If you can recommend any good dive clubs that organize weekend outing please share.

Thanks

You are in the heart of dive club country. Ohio has a number of active clubs as well as places to dive. Go to the Ohio Council of Skin and Scuba Divers website. They list clubs all over the region. I'm actually a pro member of the council. I don;t have the list handy right now but a big event is held at Portage Quarry near Findlay in July. The annual DAN BBQ. Good times, food, and lots of people who are really nice. In ohio you have as far as dive sites -Portage, Gilboa, Whitestar, and Circleville Twin quarries right off the top of my head. Cold water right now but they do warm up in the summer a bit. You will need 7 mil suits as a min now and a dry suit would be preferred. Gilboa gets up on the 70's around August but will still be 40 or so deep. As for warm water you have Mt Storm in West Virginia. Ohio clubs come to it for checkout dives early in the year. It;s a heated lake on top of a mountain. Not warming up as fast this year though. It;s 57 right now but should be in the mid 70's top to bottom (130 feet) by mid june and in the 80 and 90's by the end of august.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom