Diving in the Marseilles region?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Bill:
Again, thanks for more info. I'm hopefully going to be doing some IANTD training before I go and will be in France for three seperate training sessions so I'll see how it all goes..

Hi there,

The French do not recognise IANTD. You will be limited by your PADI certification and will be limited to 40m (accompanied). Olivier is correct I think that it is not LAW as such but the centres will enforce this regulation as it is part of their insurance.

To dive below 40m you need to be CMAS 3 star (there is no PADI course that gives this level - including instructor, course director or managing director :D...)

That said there is plenty of good diving in the 10-40m region.

The Dalton is a good example of a wreck in that region and is the famous wreck of Cousteau's early explorations.

Chris

I was at a conference on the beautiful island of Porquerolles and snuck in a few dives with the outfit on the island: http://www.porquerolles-plongee.com/. It's about 100 km southeast of Marseille, and is very worth the trip (train to Toulon, bus to Hyeres, bus to ferry, ferry to island). At the time I had just my PADI open water certification and about 20 dives in my log, and I know only a handful of words in French. The people on the boat went out in two groups: some were doing a 45 m dive, and then others of us went to only 20-25 m. They were very accomodating, and I enjoyed the dive; pretty fish, neat sea grass, octopus... In fact I am thinking of returning there for a short trip with my wife.

chrisch... for the N3 equivalency... with a few additional skills yes... the rescue is proven equivalent by the french federation "passthroughs".

as i say, it's not just a admin thing.. it's more some skills, some short theory... and then the N3... with legally in france the autonomy at 60m depth (190ft approx).

rostangarubra... are you from down there ? please go for a ride on the "introduction" page so that we get to know you more... and you'll get warm welcomes :)

Back
Top Bottom