Diving in the Grand Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcpilot44

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are currently getting certified for our open water. We will be in the GC in the beginning of March for 5 days. Can anyone recommend any dive companies? I might want to get my advance open water while I am there. Thanks

Diving in the Grand Cayman Islands?

Point of clarification:

It's not "The Grand Cayman Islands."

Grand Cayman is but one of "The Cayman Islands" which are comprised of Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, and Cayman Brac.

Which of the three will you and your wife actually be visiting, and where will you be staying?

I went in June asd dove with Resort Sports ltd. They are located at Beach Club Colony. I think they charged about $300 for five days' diving. They were friendly and personable, willing to adjust locations and profiles based opon diver experience and skill, after getting to know us, the divemasters allowed us a lot more freedom for those who wanted it.

I felt very comfortable and safe with these guys. Diving there is easy and fun, it's hard to get into trouble or lost, as most of the dives are shallow,there is little current and good visibility.

Make sure you go to Sting Ray City, the most fun dive ever!

I also dove twice with Red Sail sports, they charged more and their boat was a huge, cattleboat type operation. But they helpful, and provided a good service, but I was on a boat with 20 other divers, it just seemed impersonal.

Enjoy your trip.

We will be in the GC in the beginning of March

For smaller, more personalized service try Wall to Wall, Neptunes Divers, Off the Wall or Ambasssador Divers. For larger cattleboats the aforementioned Red Sail or Don Fosters.

Any diveop will pick you up along Seven Mile Beach so don't let that be a determining factor in deciding where to stay. Be sure to mention that you're newly certified when booking as the typical dive profile on GC is to do one deep dive followed by a shallow 2nd dive. But there are sites where the dive operator can accommodate both you and more experienced divers, you'll just stay on top of the wall while the others descend down it. I actually prefer the shallower dives, there's so much to see and your gas/bottom times last longer. Aquarium is a great dive within your skill range - look for the cleaner shrimp and hold out your hand to get your cuticles trimmed.

And do the Stingray City dive. Most fun you'll have in 15' of water...

btw, there is a forum here on Scubaboard specifically about the Cayman Islands.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/

You should have a great time, the water is crystal clear and warm. And the visibility is exceptional.

Welcome to Scubaboard...

I went through the AOW with DiveTech in Grand Cayman this past June. They worked it into 3 days of diving. It was a half day of classroom and then 5 dives. The navigation and bouyancy control were done right off their pier. They tried to make it worthwhile, providing tips and suggestions that went beyond the course requirements. They also continued to provide extra coaching on the 4 adiitional dives I did with them. They also picked me up every day at my hotel along SMB.

Then I spent a 4 dive day with Ocean Frontiers on the East end. I'd have to say the diving was more spectacular. The sea was also alot rougher. Ocean Frontiers provided spmewhat more service - before every dive, they set up all your equipment. I had thought of doing the AOW with Ocean Frontiers, but they're significantly further from SMB (45-50 minutes as opposed to 15) and didn't offer a pick-up service.

Ocean Frontiers is a fantastic dive operator to dive to work with. They are on the east end of the island and they offer shuttle service to and from your hotel, even if you are staying on the west side.

During surface intervals the boat crew will change over your equipment while you kick back with an orange slice and fresh towel. If you are diving with them during your entire stay they will rinse and hang your gear. In the morning when you arrive your gear will be set up on the boat waiting or you. At the end of the day you just walk off the boat and go to your hotel.

The first dive is alway's guided and the second dive you have the option to venture out on your own or follow a guide. There are also many great dive sites on the east end. I've dived all around the island; east side, west side as well as the north side and I would have to say the east side has some of the nicest formations. You can also rent their gear which they do maintain.

They do offer various courses and here is a link to their website; Ocean Frontiers - Grand Cayman Islands, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Vacation Packages

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions. I use to live there.

Chris

I would second the above recomendation for off the wall. Small , personalized operation. They can cater to what you want to dive and how you want to dive. We practically had the boat to ourselves most of the days we dove witht them. They also keep a boat on the north side if conditions are good.
Most of the operations on 7mb leave from the same spot. which is very close to the westin.
As far as ocean frontiers, they were great also. The diving on the east end was the best on the island . If you are newly certified, it does get rougher on the east end. There is also a lot more current.
However, if you are confident and comfortable and want a bit more of a challenge it is well worth the trip to the east end for at least one of your dive days.
The diving out of the north sound was also very nice. Off the wall did a special trip for us to sting ray city and the north wall. great day!
enjoy!

I beleive RedSail Sports is on the beach across from the Westin. Actually, I think it's in the Hyatt. They've gotten mixed reviews. There was some discussion that RedSail was using smaller tanks to ensure shorter dives. Both Divetech and OCean Frontiers supplied AL80s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom