Diving in the Frio River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello...has anyone been diving in the Frio River, east of San Antonio? My family will be vacationing there soon and some of us are planning a weekend dive.

Any info/advice would be great!

Hemlon:
Hello...has anyone been diving in the Frio River, east of San Antonio? My family will be vacationing there soon and some of us are planning a weekend dive.

Any info/advice would be great!

Of course it's been quite a few years now, and it was midsummer, and I reckon the terrain changes a lot, but...

Last time I was in the Frio (near Leakey), it was about 3 feet deep.

I went to Garner State Park last year and camped out in the old section (they're building new campsites closer to the ranger station). There's a place where people swing on a rope out into the river, that part of the river is about 10 feet (at least that what my SPG said). I went out in the morning, and nobody was there. The water was so clear I didn't know if it was 6' or 15'. I started down river and work my way up it until it got too shallow, and then drifted back to my vehicle where it became shallow again. I think I used about half of my 63 tank. It was a nice dive, and I found money and toy car.

If you go there to camp out, the dive is an added bonus. But I wouldn't go out there just to do a dive.

Hope this helps.
Lea Ann

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom