Diving in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone;

What type of wetsuit would you need for the Bahamas? I will be doing 4-5 a day ranging in depths 45-90' for an entire week. I figure a 3mm would be sufficient but was wondering if it would be over kill. I know if I was only doing one or two a day I would just go with a skin, but doing this many dives has me wondering. Will be the first time diving in the Bahamas.

Thanks

Steve

edit nevermind, found info I needed

I know you said nevermind, but in case you still want information from those of us that have been there.

I was in the Bahamas in June and dove my rash guard the first 3 days. By day 4, the cumulative hypothermia effect was taking hold, so I started wearing my 3mm shorty. I had brought my 3mm full in case, but never got it wet.

i see you said you foudn the info, but just as a thing to keep in mind, that doing repetitive dives (3-4 days, 3-4 dies each day), even in warm water will sap body heat, so go for something like a 3mm shorty, or even a full. youll appreciate it after the 2nd day.

have a good trip :D

We'll be in the Bahamas at the beginning of July for 2 weeks on a liveaboard and I plan to take my 3mm full suit. It's easy to add water to the suit to cool off, but hard to get warm once you're cold.

Then again, if you're going to the Bahamas in the winter, the water temps will be in the lower 70's. We were there in December a couple of years ago and the water temperature was 73 degrees.

East side and The Tongue get colder in the winter West side stays close to stream temp. 3mm should be fine even at night west side or Tongue, t-shirt and shorts west side daylight. East side winter you'll want to bring a 2 or 3 mil shorty to layer if going deeper than about 60'. Be aware that the water temps lag air temps by about a month, so early spring is colder than early winter. Summer on the flats is just bloody hot!

FT

Hey thanks for the replies, everyone seems to be supporting what I found out, which i swith that many dievs there even with warm weather a 3mm is the way to go.

Again thanks for the info, this website has to be by far the best place for finding information about diving related events/gear and somethings that are not.

Thanks

Steve

Back
Top Bottom