Diving in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My flight is $380, and I believe the ferry is about $30.

~snip~ I put about 120 dives a year in Lake Travis. A lot like Great Lakes diving without the wrecks I'm told.
Really?...really?
I've dived Travis AND I've dived in Lake Ontario (even have photos of me in Wreck Diving Magazine to prove it :acclaim: ). The 2 lakes are nothing alike except you get wet in both. Check out the pics on this site (the folks I dived with) and you'll see the difference.

15 foot viz in Lake Travis is something we brag about.

Really?...really?
I've dived Travis AND I've dived in Lake Ontario (even have photos of me in Wreck Diving Magazine to prove it :acclaim: ). The 2 lakes are nothing alike except you get wet in both. Check out the pics on this site (the folks I dived with) and you'll see the difference.

I did 2 dives in Lake Michigan, and Lake Travis can't even come close to visibility. The only vis that is close is the gulf (rigs and the Texas Clipper.) However it was a lot colder at 80' than the coldest temperature I have experienced in Lake Travis, that includes winter.

Hostage, you're in a bad spot of Texas for diving. You got zilch to the east or north (I am discounting Blue Lagoon in Huntsville), and west options are mostly around central Texas or *way* up north around Dallas. To the south, you'll need to get a boat to take you out to the blue (or at least green) water, which is over 30 miles offshore. And those boats rarely go out in late fall-mid spring.

A lot of us east Texas folks opt for overnight/weekend trips around Austin, or we just book flights to the Caribbean or Fort Lauderdale. We just bless the lord that diving is actually *possible* in our state, albeit nowhere near us. Heh.

My flight is $380, and I believe the ferry is about $30.

I agree. Living in the Heart of Texas, whenever I feel a dive coming on, I head to DFW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom