Diving in Tanzania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning to visit Tanzania on safari in February and wish to extend the visit with some diving. We have both been diving on and off since 1971 (aah, memories of twin hose regulators and DIY wetsuits that came apart), we are certificated PADI advanced and are at a stage of life where getting all the trophies (most dives in a day, deepest, fastest current, etc.) are not important. The keyword is diversity of species and scenery, I suppose. We would prefer to look at nudibranchs than whizz past a pinnacle at 20mph, but are both fit enough for a challenging dive if needed.

We are aware of Pemba, Zanzibar and Mafia Islands and have researched them, but everywhere is advertised as one of the top dive sites in the world. I found some previous threads on the subject, but they are about 4 years out of date. Someone out there will no doubt be able to give us some independent advice as the best choice of resorts and operators. I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy diving.

hello Mermaid,

I can only speak for Pemba as I have been diving there for some time. I have done no diving or snorkeling in or around Zanzibar or Mafia.

The diving I have done was mainly in and around the Misali marine park.

The corals are in a healthy condition with few craters because of dynamite fishing.

The biodiversity is good. Some of the bigger species that you can encouter on the dives there include barracuda, giant grouper, napoleon, spinner dolphin, often in big numbers.

At some dive sites you can do extended safety stops in the shallows that are a good mix between corals and sandy bottoms, where you find the smaller species. But I would not recommend the island and its dive sites if you are really into the small critters, because of the often very strong currents. Often your dive can become an (unforseen though managable) drift dive.

For that same reason I would not recommend the place to novice divers either.

Misali island (in the park) is also suitable for sunbathing and snorkeling (for non-divers). Other dive sites around the island are unsuitable for this because of the currents.

As far as I know there was no possibility for shore diving or night diving.

A real bummer about the island is the rather large budget you need to go diving. There are only a few operators on Pemba offering diving.

You have Swahili Divers, they charge about 130 euros for 2 dives and the guy who runs the place is rather unpleasant.

Another place is an all-in kind of fancy resort 'Fundoo Lagoon, where you will pay hundreds of euros per day to stay there. There divemasters seemed like nice people though.

There is a third bit of run down operator named Manta Reef, but these I have never actually seen on the dive sites around Misali.

To cut things short, if I would go diving around Pemba again, I would try to arange a live-aboard trip from Zanzibar Island.

In short:

-good to excellent dive sites
-strong currents
-few operators (some below average standards)
-too expensive for what you get (compared to Southeast Asia)

Hope this was helpful to you and enjoy your trip.

Dear Caroluscaroli

Thanks for the reply. What you are saying seems to tie up with what was posted 4 years ago so hopefully it is a pretty good representation of the island. We are still not decided as yet on our destination, but the way things are looking, I think budget might be the deciding factor. They all sound good in their own ways and anywhere will be better than the north of England on February! Thanks for you help and happy diving.

Hi Mermaid's Buddy

I can give you a lot of info on Mafia, having spent some of the best days of my life diving there whilst living in Tanzania. The diving is beautiful - not fast or deep like Pemba can be, but pristine corals, beautiful underwater topography, a huge abundance of marine life (including whalesharks from Dec-Feb) and the friendliest people you'll ever meet. PM me if you'd like more info!

Kate

Thanks Kate for the reply.
Our trip has had to go on hold now due to family illness, but when we are in a position to book again (probably next Feb) I think that Mafia sounds the one for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom