Diving in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

electric_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be travelling to Taiwan on business in a week or two. I'll be in Hinschu for three weeks.

Can anyone give me some info on diving in Taiwan. Travelling elsewhere is not an option. I'll probably only have a day or two on the weekend available.

Thanks for any info

Adrian

electric_diver:
I'll be travelling to Taiwan on business in a week or two. I'll be in Hinschu for three weeks.

Can anyone give me some info on diving in Taiwan. Travelling elsewhere is not an option. I'll probably only have a day or two on the weekend available.

Thanks for any info

Adrian
I lived in Taiwan for 8 years and dove there with my family for 2 years. The northern part of the island will be pretty cold right now but in Kenting which is the southern end of the island is great this time of year. There is a 5 star padi shop in Kaohsiung, Jeff's Scuba Center. Jeff is Course Director and speaks great english and is great guy who is very safe. In Taiwan don't just go with any shop because the sometimes there are no rules down there. Safety can be an issue. There is a 5 star padi shop in Taipei as well. Beleive it or not there is some great diving there but be safe.

taiwandiver:
I lived in Taiwan for 8 years and dove there with my family for 2 years. The northern part of the island will be pretty cold right now but in Kenting which is the southern end of the island is great this time of year. There is a 5 star padi shop in Kaohsiung, Jeff's Scuba Center. Jeff is Course Director and speaks great english and is great guy who is very safe. In Taiwan don't just go with any shop because the sometimes there are no rules down there. Safety can be an issue. There is a 5 star padi shop in Taipei as well. Beleive it or not there is some great diving there but be safe.

Dove last weekend in (Long Dong / Dragon's hole) in Taiwan. Water temp 21 degrees C. The site is on the North East coast and was not bad. I used a 3mm wetsuit and it wasn't cold except for the initial entry in to the water. Vis was at 12 M and ther were some things to see Nudi Branches, eels, small crabs, came across a really cool urchin that glowed colors that i had never seen before. If you want to see bigger fish then this place was not so good because Taiwan is so over fished in that part of the island. Looking forward to going to the South of Taiwan to see what it is like at Green Island. From some stories i have heard that the vis is very good there and occasionally there are some hammerheads at this time of the year. I would love to hear more from people that have experience that place because I seriously want to go.

Sun Tan Man:
Dove last weekend in (Long Dong / Dragon's hole) in Taiwan. Water temp 21 degrees C. The site is on the North East coast and was not bad. I used a 3mm wetsuit and it wasn't cold except for the initial entry in to the water. Vis was at 12 M and ther were some things to see Nudi Branches, eels, small crabs, came across a really cool urchin that glowed colors that i had never seen before. If you want to see bigger fish then this place was not so good because Taiwan is so over fished in that part of the island. Looking forward to going to the South of Taiwan to see what it is like at Green Island. From some stories i have heard that the vis is very good there and occasionally there are some hammerheads at this time of the year. I would love to hear more from people that have experience that place because I seriously want to go.

Green Island is a great place to go diving but in order to see the hammerheads you have to go deep and descend fast. Every year there are several people who are killed. The dive sight is where 2 currents meet and what I have been told is that it is so strong that you must descend and ascend very quickly. There are no PADI or NUAI shops on the island and they all play by their own rules. In other words, there are no rules. I have talked to many local divers who have never been on this dive because of the risks. There are some other places to dive on Green Island that are beautiful as well but just watch you depth. There is a local padi dive shop in Taipei who take several trips to Green Island and Kenting. It is a great time to go to Kenting. We ahve seen tons of lionsfish, eel, spotted stingray, clown fish, tons of sea snakesand 2 years ago a giant shcool of either anchovies or sardines. Yes, it is over fished but there is still a lot of beautiful things to see. My husband went to Orchid Island and he said it was beautiful. The pictures were spectacular. The owner of the dive shop did not speak much english but was very safe and cautious. Explore Taiwan diving and you will be amazed!

Please visit greenislanddiving.com for details and reservations

electric_diver:

Thanks for any info

Adrian

Hi, re diving in Taiwan, diving here is excellent, especially over on Green Island and Orchid Island, Kenting also has good diving with more than 30 shore dives and 20 boat diving sites. I go to Green Island every year to see the Hammerheads, I was there last month and saw large groups of 60 to 80 on every dive, viz averaged 20-25m. Orchid has in my opinion even better diving than Green. Viz is way better 40 to 50m, no schooling hammerheads but everything else, including a gorgeous 200m wreck. I am based in Kaohsiung and organise trips over to Orchid and Green every few months and fun diving trips and scuba courses in Kenting every weekend. My next trip will be to Orchid Island from April 1st to April 5th. It is not true that all the operators on Green Island are cowboys. Some are, but I know several highly responsible and skilled diver/operators over there, the same on Orchid. I am a British PADI instructor and have been guiding and teaching divers in Taiwan for the past 14 years. email me at greensward_98@yahoo.com.tw or in Taiwan call 0916 130 288 or 07 226 8854

Back
Top Bottom