Diving in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience only is that BC's, Regulators and SPG's are about 100% more then what you can buy in the USA. Computers are about 25% to 50% pending on the brand. At best you might be able to cut the price to within 10% over list price. The other problem is that most dive shops dont have a good selection. However the rest of gear you can buy at good prices....especially wetsuits and fins.

Again only my experience....most shops here will tell that they can deliver your package deal in about 4-5 days. This is the same amount of time that it will take for them to search the internet for what you want and have it delivered to Taiwan, then sell it at inflated prices.

Yeah yeah yeah I hear this all the time that it will cost me alot of money to service my regulator if I dont buy it here. Well lets do a little math....I pay 900USD for a Atomic B2 regulator (that is rock bottem price by the way) verses 545USD in the states. Here in Taiwan it will cost me about 30USD for service every 2 years unless I buy it here...then its free. With a 2 year service interval at 30USD per year it will take me about 12-14 years for it to pay off if bought in Taiwan. Hmmmm not a rocket scientist but you figure it out.

Support your local dive shop but dont be stupid either.

I agree with shellbackdiver1! The gear is expensive here except wetsuits. I ordered my gear from a buddy in the States and got it shipped to an embassy, so no tax. If you have friends in the states that you could have buy the gear and send it as used. I got my friend to scuff up the fins a bit and the mask container. Take all the wrappers off and a letter enclosed saying don't forget your gear at my place next time you come diving here.

ttsansan:
Hi everyone, I am looking for good quality diving equipment here in Southern Taiwan. Can anyone tell me if there is a good dive shop available in Kaoshuing or Pingtung City?
Thanks for your help. TTsansan

Please give me a call at 0916 130 288 or email me at divingintaiwan@yahoo.com.tw I will be happy to show you the best places to buy gear and get you a discount on the price.:wink:

shellbackdiver1:
My experience only is that BC's, Regulators and SPG's are about 100% more then what you can buy in the USA. Computers are about 25% to 50% pending on the brand. At best you might be able to cut the price to within 10% over list price. The other problem is that most dive shops dont have a good selection. However the rest of gear you can buy at good prices....especially wetsuits and fins.

Again only my experience....most shops here will tell that they can deliver your package deal in about 4-5 days. This is the same amount of time that it will take for them to search the internet for what you want and have it delivered to Taiwan, then sell it at inflated prices.

Yeah yeah yeah I hear this all the time that it will cost me alot of money to service my regulator if I dont buy it here. Well lets do a little math....I pay 900USD for a Atomic B2 regulator (that is rock bottem price by the way) verses 545USD in the states. Here in Taiwan it will cost me about 30USD for service every 2 years unless I buy it here...then its free. With a 2 year service interval at 30USD per year it will take me about 12-14 years for it to pay off if bought in Taiwan. Hmmmm not a rocket scientist but you figure it out.

Support your local dive shop but dont be stupid either.

Actually I find this to be not quite accurate, wetsuits, booties, fins, masks, snorkles, dive lights,knives, weight belts, add on gear, accessories, dive bags, and BCDs are all very good deals here. How does NT$7000 sound for a weight integrated jacket style BCD with trim weight pockets and a airhorn sound or a full length 3mm wetsuit for $2200 or a 5mm vest abd hood for $1200? I just bought 6 sets of dive gear here, the regulators I bought, US Divers Titan, were admittedly a more expensive then on Leisure Pro but by the time you add shipping costs plus import duty into Taiwan there is not that much difference. The big advantage of buying gear here in Taiwan than from abroad is the service, if you buy from a good local shop the guy will service it immediately and replace any defective gear without question. If you buy off the internet it is a lot of hassle getting that gear serviced quickly [their turn around time can be maddeningly slow] and the shipping charges are very high. In addition buying a BCD fins/wetsuit/booties/mask etc off the internet is not a good idea as fit is crucial. You might get lucky with the fit but what if you don't? In fact one of the few things I would recommend buying off the internet is a dive computer. Just my 2c. Most dive shops in Taiwan will give you a healthy discount if they get to know you.:wink:

Hi,

I plan go to Green Island for Tec trimix dive, do you know which dive operator with full tech facility?

Jason
ambertiger:
Please give me a call at 0916 130 288 or email me at divingintaiwan@yahoo.com.tw I will be happy to show you the best places to buy gear and get you a discount on the price.:wink:

To save on tax/duty cost with UPS all you have to do is simply make a photo copy of your passport showing that you have left Taiwan within the last 6 months and your tax/duty with be almost nil. For example the purchase order paper work on the outside of my last package stated 1530USD, I paid 27USD on tax. The shipping cost for priority international next day service on a 6Kilo package was 38USD.

Girlfriend wanted a Tusa Selene BCD, so we searched the island, called almost every authorised dealer here in Taiwan for Tusa, best price 22000NTD (700USD). ordered it via the internet for 350USD. I spend money freely but not that freely.

Its just my experience...When I have shop owners whisper to me to buy on the internet or go to Hong Kong I guess i'll take that as my first clue.

To each his own

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom