Diving in Sri Lanka - March 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rex de Silvia (s) is the current top diver in SL also has jut finished a book on Sharks of the area.

There are a lot of great divers and great diving locations in SL

Suggest you might want to obtain the diving books on Sur Lanka by the great scientific writer your own Sir Arthur Clarke. he was a diver before a scientific writer .. as I recall wrote about 6 or so books on diving in the area.. I have then all and all inscribed to me-- highly prized books .

good luck
'
SDM

Thanks very much Sam,
But I'm only there for two weeks & it's a mixed holiday - not only diving but seeing other stuff as well. I was only thinking of doing a few dives so not sure it's worth reading a whole book! I was just hoping for a few tips - names of places to dive, east/ west coast etc.
cheers

1) I must apologize to the people of Sri Lanka...I speak Spanish and have been traveling & diving in Mexico, mostly in Baja del SUR for over 65 years and use the Spanish word for south "Sur" in referring to SRI Lanka.

2) The diving world is composed of two catagories: those who dive and those who are divers.

Rex is of the latter category. He is indeed a diver. He is a marine biologist, is has written a very definitive book on diving history in his county going back to the great Rodney Jonkalass to the present and most recently he published a all encompassing book on the "Sharks of Sri Lanka."

He would be your best bet for information on diving in Sri Lanka.

3) I am in frequent e mail contact with him and would be happy to provide it so you can initiate contact..... IF... I can ever figure out how to send and receive a private message under the new system.

4) I would assume your libraries would have copies of Sir Arthurs books on diving Sri Lanka...he describes as only he can describe the diving and diving locations.

5) If we donot make further contact well it is K MAG YO YO and good luck !

SDM

No I am NOT a public Safety diver -- what ever that is??

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-1_5-48-17.png
    upload_2016-2-1_5-48-17.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Hi Alice!

March will be the tail end of diving season in the southwest. Unawatuna and Bentota offer the best diving with beautiful beaches nearby. However, Colombo has some amazing wrecks and probably the most interesting diving in the country. You could try to base yourself in Mount Lavinia or Negombo if you’d like to dive the Colombo wrecks while staying in a beach hotel. Colombo Divers and Island Scuba - LK have good reviews in those areas. Further north, you’ll encounter Epic Encounters Dive & Adventure Centre in Kalpitiya. Unfortunately, the northeast season won’t start until mid-April. Most dive shops in the area won’t be open until then.

It’s a great time to start exploring Sri Lanka’s underwater world. New dive sites are discovered every year. In fact, the Sri Lanka Aggressor, a brand new liveaboard, is going to start sailing the island country in September 2016. You’ll find plenty to keep you entertained both above and below the water. If you’re interested in any further information on the weather averages, dive sites or diver reviews of accommodation, you can take a look at our page on Sri Lanka.

Have a great trip and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom