Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know about what's happening. And July is quite a long time away.

Thing will calm down by then.

I feel bad for Sri Lanka. They just can't seem to get out of their political mess.

Oh wait, I'm from the USA. Nevermind.

Situation on the ground is calm but its very dynamic. More than political issues the economic problems are a challenge. Major fuel shortages make travel and diving a logistical nightmare. I run a research programme and have had multiuple dive days lost due to not getting fuel for our boat. Hopefully things improve a bit by July.

Regarding diving in Mirissa and Unawatuna in July, it is the height of the Southwest Monsoon and conditions are either to rough to dve or marginal at best. Most dive shops in the south are closed at that time. Diving is only possible in the east at that time. Even if someone offers to take you out in the south in July I would not bother about it unless you enjoy big swells and 2m visibility.

If you are in SL in July and want to dive head to the east coast. If you are after wrecks then Batticaloa is the best option. I think the only operator there is open atm. Pasikudah area has wrecks but the two operators in the area are not operating.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
I guess that diving is off the menu then. Oh well.

I'm going in december.. given the love for wrecks, I guess Colombo is the place to go..

any recommendations on dive centers? Looking for Tec capable (steel twins, nitrox or trimix, etc)... and some nice wrecks to visit..

If you like wrecks Colombo is the best place in Sri Lanka this time of year.

Island Scuba is the only dive center based in Colombo. They offer nitrox and may be able to provide some tec support. But keep in mind that business has been bad for 3yrs straight (Easter attacks, COVID, recent political turmoil) and they may be short of spares for repairs etc. due to ongoing import restrictions. But they are open and operational and know the local wrecks well. One advantage is you will not have crowds.

In December, strong northerlies can sometime limit access to some of the more northern wrecks but even if that happens there are about 8 wrecks within 20 mins boat ride from the dive center.

If you need any info feel free to PM me.

If you like wrecks Colombo is the best place in Sri Lanka this time of year.

Island Scuba is the only dive center based in Colombo. They offer nitrox and may be able to provide some tec support. But keep in mind that business has been bad for 3yrs straight (Easter attacks, COVID, recent political turmoil) and they may be short of spares for repairs etc. due to ongoing import restrictions. But they are open and operational and know the local wrecks well. One advantage is you will not have crowds.

In December, strong northerlies can sometime limit access to some of the more northern wrecks but even if that happens there are about 8 wrecks within 20 mins boat ride from the dive center.

If you need any info feel free to PM me.
DM is still disabled for me.. as I'm not that active on this board with posts :wink: .. but any ideas for the Yala region?

No worries. Are you looking at land based wildlife options around Yala? There is not much diving there. The Great Basses offers interesting diving but is accessible only during a 2 month window in March/April. The southeast coast of Sri Lanka is an area of big swells, sand dunes, and dry scrub forests.

Back
Top Bottom