Diving in South Korea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBrady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So after four years of being stationed in New Mexico, the Air Force has seen fit to send me off to South Korea next year for two years. The base that I am going to does have a PADI shop which means I can hopefully knock out as many specialties as I can. I do want to dive year round so I was wondering about exposure suits. My last dives were in Guam where all I wore was board shorts.

Should I go with having both wet and dry suits? Would a dry suit work for both summer and winter dives? What about a 7mm wetsuit for both?

I am a big fan of BARE since I have used their stuff in the past and I was happy with the performance. I am leaning towards a dry suit and I do believe in the buy once, cry once idea when buying gear.

Any help, opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you think you need 7mm, I'd go with the drysuit option. Maybe a cheap 3-5 mm, for warmer temp dives. I've found that my wetsuits hardly get used anymore, since getting a drysuit. I use the 3 or 5 mm in AZ when the weather is over 105, just because I can dress quickly and jump in to cool off. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd ever wear my wetsuits again.
I don't know any AF people who've been stationed in Korea but all of my Army buddies who've gone there talk about all the extra money they end up saving. If you can afford a drysuit, I say go for it. Maybe consider one with breathable fabric so that it's more versatile in the heat.

i just finished working in S.Korea as a scuba instructor for the last 3 years, who you dive with will likely depend on where you are based. Check out Alan in Aquatic Frontier in Osan Air Base, Russ in Deep Blue Quest in Seoul and the guys I worked for were Sea World Dive Centre in Busan. Beyond that is Ralf in Big Blue 33 on Jeju.

on the South Coast the temps are OK to be in a 7mm most of the year but if you are up in Osan then you're gonna be diving the east coast a lot which is gonna be chilly and if you have the cash and are gonna be there foor a while then a dry suit is probably best

Back
Top Bottom