diving in south Florida in January-any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Got some extra time after work to dive in Florida. I'll be in Miami, but don't mind traveling wherever the water is good.

Is Ft. Lauderdale good vis in the first part of January?

What would you recommend?

Thanks
Mike

Conditions are much more varied in winter here. If a cold front passes through then the winds pick up a lot and come out of the NW to NE quadrant. Needless to say then the seas kick up to 5'+ and diving is not an option. At least not for me. But, after the front passes and winds fall conditions can be excellent. You might also consider a manatee dive on the West coast. The springs are the warmest water and the manatees go to them in large numbers, and they are inland and sheltered areas so wind is not a major concern. Enjoy.

I dove all last year. The seas do pick up and the water gets a tad chilly. But one of the most amazing days I had diving was in eight to ten foot swells. The vis was easily 150 feet. Of course, the charter boats won't run in that so usually a private boat and some strong sea legs are your only option.

Definitely give it a try. You'll be surprised at the amount of varied locations for diving. It is a bit cold so make sure you have proper wet suit or rent one. You can go to the regional travel section to the Florida divers and they'll be able to help you find anything you need

Winter in The Keys..........
Water temp 70+/-
Average wind 15mph+
Seas can be from 1 - 7ft.
We do dive daily in up to 5ft, seas as they are no where near as steep as up on the mainland.

Back
Top Bottom