diving in south america

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jen128

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi,

i´m currently in south america, trying to decide where to head next, and i need your help.
i did my advance open water a year ago in koh tau, but have´t dived since. i really want to do it but i don´t know where.
i was thinking on colombia, maybe san andres, but i´m hearing a lot of bad things on the diving there.
i need an easy dive sites, obiously, but a pretty one, cause i still have the amazing marine life from koh tau in my head..
plus i want to be in a place with other divers and a night life etc, cause i´m thinking of settling down there for a month or so and to advance my skills.
thank you very much for any help, sorry for the bad english.

jen

Hmmm... I thought I had heard some good things about San Andres. Of course the Caribbean won't be as diverse as the diving in Asia.

I didn't find the diving all that outstanding at Koh Tao. You will probably miss the large anemones and their attendant clown fish, but I would still think you could find decent diving at San Andres. Diving probably better over at Providinciales, but may lack the bit of partying you seek.

hi,

i´m currently in south america, trying to decide where to head next, and i need your help.
i did my advance open water a year ago in koh tau, but have´t dived since. i really want to do it but i don´t know where.
i was thinking on colombia, maybe san andres, but i´m hearing a lot of bad things on the diving there.
i need an easy dive sites, obiously, but a pretty one, cause i still have the amazing marine life from koh tau in my head..
plus i want to be in a place with other divers and a night life etc, cause i´m thinking of settling down there for a month or so and to advance my skills.
thank you very much for any help, sorry for the bad english.

jen

Hola Arturo: estuve una semana en S. Andres en 2009, hice 2 buceos por dia a cual de ellos mejor, he buceado en varias partes del mundo y te aseguro que San Andres es superior p.ej. a Cozumel, lo que ocurre es que es una isla con bastante pobreza y por lo tanto excluida del glamour, sin embargo hay excelentes operadores PADI, como Jaime de Sea Garden, dentro del hotel Marazul, el cual elegi por la comodidad de salir a bucear desde su muelle. Con mi famila pasamos una semana inolvidable, mis hijos hicieron buceos poco profundos sin necesidad de certificado. Los arrecifes gozan de muy buena salud, todo muy colorido y muchisima vida. Hay cuevas, paredes y extensos jardines de coral desde los 10 a 24m. Baje hasta 30m en pared, alli hay enormes esponjas llamadas pipas, de 1m de largo y 40cm de diam. El buceo nocturno es imperdible. Filme 6 horas que edite en 1 hr, fue mi primer dvd que no aburre! Las ventajas de S. Andres son: muy barato, no hay vendedores de tiempos compartidos, hay decenas de puntos de buceo accesibles en minutos con lancha rapida y muy poca gente si vas en la epoca adecuada. Estuve en los primeros dias de Junio y tuve un servicio personalizado, muchas veces movian la lancha con dos motores de 110HP solo para mi. Cualquier otra consulta a las ordenes.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom