Diving in SE Asia after Cambodia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to believe that ever happened in Singapore!
Even Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam wouldn't dare to charge more than 100 buck in the dark time

At the time, I believe I did pay $100 for the Vietnam visa.

Probably still the same now.
Back in 1992 the permit(visa) was a detached paper and there was no entry or exit stamp in the passport.
"American War Crime Museum" I wonder if the name is still valid!

Probably still the same now.
Back in 1992 the permit(visa) was a detached paper and there was no entry or exit stamp in the passport.
"American War Crime Museum" I wonder if the name is still valid!

It was 6 years ago.

It was 6 years ago.
Bargain basement because I paid that sum in 1992 and there were a lot of stupid rules then.
1. I needed to list all the places that I want to go when applying for the permit.
2. I needed to pay extra when I wanted to go to somewhere which was not listed originally while in Vietnam.
3. I needed to report to the Tourist office when I arrived at new places.

Did not enjoy the trip and went overland to Cambodia and of course have to pay for the extra because the route was not in my official itinerary.
This is the only country in SE Asia that I have no desire to return even after 30yrs!

Indonesia and Malaysia may be opened by then! You never know.
Kao Tao is OK but nothing special.
Philippines? It is opening soon but as already mentioned it is typhoon season. And July is too late for Tubbattaha.
Maldives is an option.
Wait couple of months as you still have plenty of time to commit yourselves.
Good luck.
It breaks my heart when I hear that Koh Tao is OK and nothing special, I was lucky enough to spend a couple of months there in 92 and it was very special, I did regular visits in the 90's and each time I went back, the island had changed loads but it was still special albeit slightly less special with too many divers and some reef damage occurring. Speaking to DM's that have lived on the island more recently they are astounded when I say it used to be as good as the Similians is now.

I did have the misfortune of being meeting both Tyson and Trevor and having them aggressively chase me / try to attack me but that was a right of passage if you dived on Koh Tao and white rock around that time

"The times they are a-changing" - Dylan
"Living in the past" - Jethro Tull

First went to Chiang Mai in 1988 and nearly have a heart attack when I went back 31 yrs later.

Once again not to sure where everyone is getting these Singapore and Vietnam visa fee numbers from.

I have been to Vietnam many times as well. US passports the cost is $17 for the letter and $25 for the visa stamp. Total $42

And since there was mention of Cambodia and Myanmar. Yup I have been to both of those places too just be for Covid hit. For US passports Cambodia is $36 for evisa and Myanmar $50.

Only place I can think of that actually has expensive entry requirement for US passports was when I went to Bhutan. Think it came out to about $200 per day.

Just and FYI I know most on this site are US or EU passport holders and this is a luxury for traveling . You should see how much effort, time, and money those with "non powerful" passports have to put in to travel especially to get into the US. So I would not complain to much about the odd $20-$50 to get into a country

Once again not to sure where everyone is getting these Singapore and Vietnam visa fee numbers from.

I have been to Vietnam many times as well. US passports the cost is $17 for the letter and $25 for the visa stamp. Total $42
We are talking on different era.
In 1992 it was $100.00 and was exactly 1m dong.

We are talking on different era.
In 1992 it was $100.00 and was exactly 1m dong.
I did loads of work in Vietnam in the mid 90's and was flying in and out every 6-8 weeks, each visit needed a new visa @HK$800 or US$100 and I filled a passport with visa stamps within a couple of years. Things had a relaxed a bit so you didn't need to list everywhere you were going nor report in and I actually loved the country and even did some diving off Danang using old french naval maps trying to find reefs and potential dive sites

Maybe it is time for another visit

Serious? When we looked into it a few years ago it was around 200 each. Well, that's good news, in that case. Thank you.

How long had you planned to stay in Singapore?

I've never needed a visa though I've never tried to stay longer than 30 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom