Diving in SE Asia after Cambodia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidDocDMC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son and I will be in Cambodia at the end of June doing some volunteer work. We'd like to go diving afterwards, but need advice on where to go/what's likely to be open to Westerners. I think I have enough points on Singapore Air to get almost anywhere in SE Asia. Ideally, we'd go to Sipadan or Raja Amat, but both Malaysia and Indonesia are still pretty locked down. I hear that the Philippines will be opening up, but that is also typhoon season and the conditions aren't great there in July, I think. Some have suggested Thailand, but that would be limited to Kao Tao, which just seems okay. The safest choice for avoiding COVID closures is likely the Maldives. We've been there before, but haven't done a liveaboard. ScubaSpa offers 5d 4n cruises (or full 8d 7n ones). Your thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Indonesia and Malaysia may be opened by then! You never know.
Kao Tao is OK but nothing special.
Philippines? It is opening soon but as already mentioned it is typhoon season. And July is too late for Tubbattaha.
Maldives is an option.
Wait couple of months as you still have plenty of time to commit yourselves.
Good luck.

Indonesia and Malaysia may be opened by then! You never know.
Kao Tao is OK but nothing special.
Philippines? It is opening soon but as already mentioned it is typhoon season. And July is too late for Tubbattaha.
Maldives is an option.
Wait couple of months as you still have plenty of time to commit yourselves.
Good luck.
Thanks. I should be more patient, but I like to have plans in place (which means I've had to change plenty of trips over the past 24 months). Also, I am using miles on Singapore, so don't want to get boxed out of award flights by waiting too long. I will probably make a decision when I see what's happening after the Omicron wave.

Thing can change very quickly as you had already experienced over last two yrs. Plan has NO meaning but frustration.
The "Test & Go" programme in Thailand was a good example.

Only for 7 wks and then was suspended and reintroduced now!

what about diving in Cambodia? I understand Phu Quoc has some great sites. Friend of mine speaks very highly of the rustic setting and super friendly people.

Also, what about Sri Lanka? South India? Korea? Taiwan?

what about diving in Cambodia? I understand Phu Quoc has some great sites. Friend of mine speaks very highly of the rustic setting and super friendly people.

Errrh... the dives off Sihanoukville are really crap (btw Phu Quoc is Vietnam), shallow bottom, poor viz, completely fished out. Forget the diving, rather enjoy Kep area and seafood.
I wouldn't rate Sri Lanka as a dive destination unless you're there for wrecks, but then again wrong season for the west coast (Galle, Negombo).
Better Andaman & Nicobar islands than south India but still not the season in July-august.

Philippines in July august will still be better than anywhere else except Indonesia.

Errrh... the dives off Sihanoukville are really crap (btw Phu Quoc is Vietnam), shallow bottom, poor viz, completely fished out. Forget the diving, rather enjoy Kep area and seafood.
I wouldn't rate Sri Lanka as a dive destination unless you're there for wrecks, but then again wrong season for the west coast (Galle, Negombo).
Better Andaman & Nicobar islands than south India but still not the season in July-august.

Philippines in July august will still be better than anywhere else except Indonesia.

Thank you for heads up. This helps planning future trips.

Diving season in ROC(Taiwan) but just cannot compare with the Big Four in SE Asia.
HMS Hermes(aircraft carrier) in Sri Lanka(East coast and not far from Batticaloa) but realistically it is slightly beyond rec depth.

I just went the safe route and booked a liveaboard in the Maldives. Now, the issue is that I am trying to get a few days prior to the ship in Baa Atoll near Hanifaru Bay (mantas and whale sharks), but the Maldives prohibits transfers between resorts or from resorts to liveaboards if the place you're leaving is on a contact tracing watch list. There are currently 92 resorts (including all of the ones I was considering in Baa) on that list. If I get there, I don't want to be stuck not going on the boat. Might just scrap that portion and stay in Singapore for a couple of days after Cambodia and before we leave for the Maldives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom