diving in scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, I dive the whole 12 months of the year, min 4 times a month, in a semi - no prob's.

In short, you dont have to be in a dry suit to be comfy diving up here whatever the weather

Puffin are well worth a visit www.puffin.org.uk

Never done St Abbs but this area (Oban) is very very good. Great wrecks and plenty of sea life. The fish resturant at Oban overlooking the ferry terminal is great too.

Chris

DORSETBOY:
In short, you dont have to be in a dry suit to be comfy diving up here whatever the weather
Nay, nay... you don't have to be in a dry suit to be comfy in cold water.... I, with my thin LA (lower Alabama) blood, definitely do! :)
Rick

Speaking of diving Scotland, I am interested in putting together an archeological dive expedition to Eilean Donan Castle. (Family history & all that)
Don't know if there'd be anything there to find, don't know if anyone's already done it... do any of you who are in Scotland know?
Thanks,
Rick

might be interesting to see if there's anything remaining from the attack by Government forces and boats (18th century) in the way of cannon balls, etc. Also, I imagine that people at the time weren't as environmentally concious as we are today, it's poss that refuse was flung into the loch itself and there could be interesting finds amongst that if it's survived.

DORSETBOY:
lol, I dive the whole 12 months of the year, min 4 times a month, in a semi - no prob's.

I agree im just back from Oban and there were a few divers with semi dry suits on.Water temp was a nice 13 degrees!I for one prefer a drysuit as i feel the cold more than most!

DORSETBOY:
might be interesting to see if there's anything remaining from the attack by Government forces and boats (18th century) in the way of cannon balls, etc. Also, I imagine that people at the time weren't as environmentally concious as we are today, it's poss that refuse was flung into the loch itself and there could be interesting finds amongst that if it's survived.
From what I've been able to gather, the Castle was built on top of ruins already there in the 12th century, was modified several times and it was blown up by either government forces or by Donald Murchison (to prevent garrisoning by government forces - the story I prefer of course) in the 18th century.
So I expect there must be "stuff" under the seaweed that's worth finding, from which one might build a rather remarkable history.
I hope to find out someday.
Rick

itziar:
Thank you both, that gives me a good start! I will not be taking any of my kit, except for computer and mask. I definetely will not mind a bit of a customer-oriented shop, as I never have dived in cold water. We'll check them out when we arrive there. Thanks a lot.

Itziar

If I were you I would definitely take a dry suit specialty course. I love diving cold water. I recently dove in Mexico and it was nice coming home and donning my dry suit again. -grin-

DrDuktayp

Back
Top Bottom