Diving in Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you want a dry-suit you will have to show a dry-suit qualification.
Slight hijack: Since even basic training is done dry around here, there are quite a few who took their basic cert in a drysuit, have done all of their local diving in a DS, but with no formal DS cert.

In a case like that, would e.g. a logbook showing some 50, 100 or more dry dives be considered sufficient proof of qualification?

Slight hijack: Since even basic training is done dry around here, there are quite a few who took their basic cert in a drysuit, have done all of their local diving in a DS, but with no formal DS cert.

In a case like that, would e.g. a logbook showing some 50, 100 or more dry dives be considered sufficient proof of qualification?

I'm actually curious about this as well since many people have been diving in dry suits (and in general) before there were certifications and stuff.

No, the UK is moving towards the US in fear of liability. BSAC recently (in the last 18 months) asked all Branch Diving Officers to confirm which of their members were competent with Dry-suits so their training record could be updated. I checked with HQ today less than 1/3 replied.

No, the UK is moving towards the US in fear of liability. BSAC recently (in the last 18 months) asked all Branch Diving Officers to confirm which of their members were competent with Dry-suits so their training record could be updated. I checked with HQ today less than 1/3 replied.

Is doing dry suit training as part of your OWD course considered competent?

Is doing dry suit training as part of your OWD course considered competent?
I can only speak for BSAC. Providing the Branch Diving Officer confirms Ocean Diver training was done in a dry-suit then its logged.

Remember PADI have dry-suit training as separate income stream in addition to OW.

Thanks. Good thing I opted to pay for the DS specialty card, then. Even though the only cases where I've - so far - seen domestic LDSs ask for a DS card before renting out gear have been when the (A)OW card was issued abroad.

Last month two dive buddies and I got wet at a local dive shop's on site pool. I dove by drysuit as I wanted to check out weighting with a new BP/W. I walked in with the bottom half of my suit on to save time. I had to show my DS cert card (I did it at the same time as my OW). Would have not been allowed to dive my own suit if I'd not had my card on me (or able to show e-card).

Thanks. Good thing I opted to pay for the DS specialty card, then. Even though the only cases where I've - so far - seen domestic LDSs ask for a DS card before renting out gear have been when the (A)OW card was issued abroad.
One of specialties for my AOW was a DS, but no card, so I have no idea how to get one, besides going to PADI shop and pay for one.

Yeah I will dive in a dry suit, unfortunatly I live abroad so i'm only here for a few weeks so not much point in joining a club, I probably will when i come back here in a year or so.

I have always been a bit intimidated by clubs, I'm still a new diver (only 7 dives) so i feel a little concerned that i get paired up with a pro guy and i end up having to cut their dive short because my air consumption sucks.

To be honest, diving in mid-winter on the East coast of Scotland is not for the faint of heart - low viz, strong tides, freezing cold water, etc. Plus the diving is a bit sucky anyhow. If you only have 7 dives under your belt, I'd maybe think about taking a pass on the diving.

To be honest, diving in mid-winter on the East coast of Scotland is not for the faint of heart - low viz, strong tides, freezing cold water, etc.
I beg to differ. Wintertime has the best viz in green water country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom