Diving in Saudi Arabia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gusvs

Registered
Reaction score
I am going Saudi Arabia end of June/beginning of July in my work, and I am thinking of squeezing in some diving. The thing is, it is difficult to find any information about diving in this part of the Red Sea. The only place I have heard of suitable for diving in SA is Jeddah. I found this dive operator, which looks alright:
http://www.desertseadivers.ws/index.htm

Does anyone have any experience from diving in SA, or some ideas on other options?

Thanks in advance!

/Gustaf

I have been living in Jeddah since Nov last year.

The diving here is awesome though the coastline over fished and hunted. They need some regulations here concerning hunting as game fihing is completely unregulated, but that isn't even on on the horizon so I shall drem on.

Anyweay wreck diving here is possible the best being the Ann Ann, prop at 31m, a stunning wreck, still intact and home to interesting grouper, wrasse, 2 giant moray, dolphin and a turtle are also spotted but sadly the 2 sharks were killed for a photo opportunity before being thrown back in. The word is (on very good authority) that it was a company called Ahlam (Dream) Divers who took the fee-paying passenger there as the sharks were well known as residential. Please boycott this company.

As to Desert Sea Divers I go with them every Friday and have found them to be a most professional, friendly outfit.

Mastoorah near Rabigh and Yenbu are reputdely the best places in the Kingdom for diving.

If you need any further info drop me an email.

C Ya!

Thanks for the info guys!

I'll check Desert Sea Divers out!

I lived in Yanbu for a year and can say that the diving there is far better than in Jeddah (which is not bad either). Not as overfished as Jeddah and the vis is better since there is not a much shipping. Couldn't tell you who to go with, since most of the time I was diving with friends on their boat, but the few times I went with the shop in the Holiday Inn (Red Sea Divers, I think) I had a good time. Saw sharks every single time I dove in Yanbu! Dolphins once or twice too!

Just read this thread. If anyone wants information on diving in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia, contact me. I have lived and dived in yanbu for over 10 years.
Sarah

@ saudisarah

hi sarah

im planing my next years diving trip which will be a bit special. plan to travel around the world with all that exceptional diving sites (fall 2004)

will start in sudan, move on to eritrea and djibouti. planned to transfer by boat to saudi. however have stoped that due to visa regulations.

now i have found this tread here and you might be big help to me.

to start with, have worked in the middle east for years, so conditions to expect is no problem.

but here my question:
any chance to get a visa if i would like to dive in yambu? would like to stay for approx. 4 to 6 days and then move on to jemen.

many thanks for your info

swisstrav

I have been diving in Saudi since 1999, and in Jeddah since 2001. There are several beach "resorts" that offer fair-pretty good diving. Al Bilad Beach is very basic in terms of facilities, but is worth it. The diving there is one of the best places north of Jeddah. Al Nakheel is decent, with the kitting up area right out at the entry/exit point, and they have night diving. Intercontinental Beach is good, but don't go north, it's full of rubble from other beach resort construction. Sheraton is about the best for facilities and ease. You can kit up right at the entry point, where there is also a shower and shaded spots for your gear or people who aren't diving but want to hang out nearby.

I also regularly frequent Desert Sea Divers. The manager there, Abu, is extremely friendly, and is always willing to give you a very fair price. Their boat trips are always fun, with experienced captains and divemasters. The two I know, Bill and Ben, are very knowledgeable and fun to be with. I am doing the Divemaster course myself, and think that they are the kind of role model to emulate.

I had previously heard bad things about Dream Divers, namely canceling trips at the last minute (because they could get more money from other higher-paying clients), but was shocked to hear about the Ann Ann shark incident.

Anyone wanting more info can reply here in this forum, and I'll be happy to email you. Cheers!

Yanbu is going the same way as Jeddah, overfished/hunted. Farasan banks are a great place to dive. 1 1/2 hours drive south of Jeddah in a town called Al-Lith. AbuK: To be fair, it was one guy that was responsible for the "shark hunt" and he has left Jeddah now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom