Diving in S. America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a pippin for you.

Fernando de Noronha off Brazil.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Bom dia crazed_dolphin!

DocVikingo is absolutely right, Fernando de Noronha is probably one of the top spot in South America. I spent 7 days last year and had a blast. There are 3 operators on the island and all are very good. The number of tourists allowed at any one time is controlled by the government which means it is never crowded. Since the majority of visitors go for the beaches, the dive boats are rarely jammed packed. Beware of the daily tourist tax though which increases exponentially the longer you stay!!!

Other good spot off Brazil are Abrolhos (which you reach via a liveaboard) and the wrecks off Recife. If you look on the Pacific side, have the time and the $$$, you should consider the Galapagos. Did not go myself but some friends did it and loved it.

Best regards,

Stéphane

Top dives in Brazil:
1st - Fernando de Noronha - Pernambuco
2nd - Bonito Caverns - Mato Grosso
3rd - Abrolhos - Bahia
4th - Ilha Grande - Rio de Janeiro
5th - Salvador - Bahia
6th - Angra dos Reis - Rio de Janeiro

My experience is that you must carry your gear. Diving Operators varry a lot in terms of equipment age, quality, etc.

I triple the Noronha advice!!! I loved that little island... but must warn you that the night life isn't all that extensive.... pretty much limited to one bar with solely forro music. The pic in my profile is from a noronha wreck!! My best dive EVER was a night dive in noronha AND we got to dive with a group of 15 dolphins on another day!!! AMAZING!!!

The other idea for South America is the Galapagos! That is a must for all divers at some point. You won't be dissappointed.

Dave

At the pacific Ocean, you can try Galapagos Ecuador.

At the caribean, i've been at islas del rosario Colombia, Cartagena de indias is a wonderful city to visit, lot of fun on land, and very cheap option.

MaxAlegraD:
Top dives in Brazil:
1st - Fernando de Noronha - Pernambuco
2nd - Bonito Caverns - Mato Grosso
3rd - Abrolhos - Bahia
4th - Ilha Grande - Rio de Janeiro
5th - Salvador - Bahia
6th - Angra dos Reis - Rio de Janeiro

Cave diving in Brazil is pretty limited at the moment due to IBAMA(Government) restrictions.

My choice would be
1st - Fernando de Noronha - middle of the year to do the dives on the sheltered side and end of the year to do the outside dives.
2nd - Recife - December to February for fabulous wreck dives with concentration of life.
3rd - Abrolhos
4th - Guarapari, tremendous variety but normally plenty of current.
5th - Arraial do Cabo (near Cabo Frio)
6th - Ilha Grande

Brazil, in continuos land, is larger than US. Our country shape is like a triangle so we have a large coast also.

If you are planning a dive trip to Brazil, I would recommend you go northeast of the country. You may dive for a week in the wrecks at Recife (FANTASTIC DIVES) and then take an 1 hour flight to Fernando de Noronha and stay there for one week.Advanced OPW is recommended.

Recife is the larger city in the Northeast region and you may find good night life!!!

Fernando de Noronha is a fantastic vulcano island with amazing views and blue sea. They have what might be the only tech dive baptism in the world. Its a navy wreck at 60meters. To dive there you must be EAN certified, have 60 logged dives and go through a verification deep dive (40m).

On the other side, it is easier to fly to Rio de Janeiro in the sotheast region. Almost every airlines fly to Rio and you may find great night life here. However, diving is possible but not so good. To get good dives you must drive for about 2 hours to the north or south of the city.

To the north of Rio we have Arraial do Cabo, which is know to be one of the best places to dive in Brazil, and Cabo Frio. Both have great dives but night dive is forbidden in Arraial (idiot government rules...!!!) Cabo Frio is more prone to weather changes causing poor visibility. Less then 1 hour drive from cabo frio, we have Buzios, with great night life and diving possibility also. Arraial is less then 30 minutes away from Cabo Frio.

To the south we have Ilha Grande bay with about 365 islands. Its a great place to dive and there are many dive centres in the cities sorrounding the "bay". Angra dos Reis and Paraty are two of the cities.

At Ilha Grande itself there are a few dive centres but their quality is not good. Not much of a night life in these places.

The Northeast of the country has caribean temperature for the water: around 26/27 celsius. In the southeast, you will find temperatures usualy just above 20 celsius, being Arraial the coldest one (17 celsius).

At Recife, the sea is rough. At Fernando de Noronha, the so calleed "inner" side has calm see whiel the outer side has rough sea. At Ilha Grande bay...welll its a bay with mostly calm sea. At Cabo Frio and Arraial the sea is usually not so bad.

Of course there are other places to dive in Brazil. Bonito is in the middle of the country (fresh water). Abrolhos (Bahia) is in the northeast reagion but is between Rio and Recife. Near Sao Paulo, the biggest city in Brazil and where money runs, we have Santos where you may dive at Laje de Santos. To the South with have Santa Catarina...etc.

Hope it helps.

The Columbian Islands of Providencia and San Andres off the Nicaraguan coast also count as South American and are reportedly very good. I'll second the Fernando de Noronha and Abrolhas recommendations based on Brazilian dive friends and of course the Galapagos are definitely top notch!

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom