Diving in Quezon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov:
there is an easier way than to scout 8possible dive area.

Simple, sink down several wrecks or construct / buils several artificial reefs that would not be damaged by the onslaught of the pacific waves crashing from january to june.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will discuss this with him when I get there. What are buils? The hard part is building the reef, considering the waves that hit the area during the monsoon season.

greatwolf:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will discuss this with him when I get there. What are buils? The hard part is building the reef, considering the waves that hit the area during the monsoon season.

Yea, Real, Gen Nakar & Infanta area got hit pretty bad last year. The place was a mess.

A whole lot of other things are involved with building a reef. The community must also be behind your project (don't want them to fish over or around your ARS, or that would defeat the purpose) and there must be feasibility surveys on where to place the reef (not only current but water quality, potential recruitment, size, proper substrate, affect on/of surrounding areas/associated communities, etc).

I think it is a great idea if you will undertake the project. A lot of people in academia here are frustrated on the limited data on ARS and if you do think about doing it, definitely let me know (I can provide you with some literature if you need any). An eager grad student can probably make a thesis out of it...

There was a thread about ARS started by Paolo before:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=79605

I'm very eager to see how it's doing. Got any pics Paolo?

chip104:
Yea, Real, Gen Nakar & Infanta area got hit pretty bad last year. The place was a mess.

A whole lot of other things are involved with building a reef. The community must also be behind your project (don't want them to fish over or around your ARS, or that would defeat the purpose) and there must be feasibility surveys on where to place the reef (not only current but water quality, potential recruitment, size, proper substrate, affect on/of surrounding areas/associated communities, etc).

I think it is a great idea if you will undertake the project. A lot of people in academia here are frustrated on the limited data on ARS and if you do think about doing it, definitely let me know (I can provide you with some literature if you need any). An eager grad student can probably make a thesis out of it...

There was a thread about ARS started by Paolo before:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=79605

I'm very eager to see how it's doing. Got any pics Paolo?

That's cool. My dad's retiring soon and he's got a few project lined up in relation to renewable energy in the area. When he bought the place, they didn't have electricity, so they had to run a cable through the mountain, now the whole village has electricity. Electricity is quite expensive there so he's looking at different sources of energy. Wind and water look very promising. I'll broach the subject of ARS when I visit.

next-to-impossible to get the real stuff in manila... all you get is the watered-down, flavored crap that they pass off as the real thing to those who don't know any better...

my honest opinion is: the best is the dark quezon variety produced from nipa... smoooooth, warm, NO hangover.... it's the beeeeeeeest... not very easy to get either but if you want i can give my friend a heads-up

Jag

We have operated Balesin Island in Lamon Bay for many years and have marketed it in the past mainly to Japanese tourists, many of whom were divers. I have not dived there myself, being a new diver, but please browse our website to see what we have there. It's a great place for family, it has plenty of coral, but as I understand from those that have dived recently, the fish are "mailap" because of too much spearfishing. But big fish have been spotted there.

I thought I posted it yesterday but can't seem to find it: we're looking for a business partner. Specifically, someone who might be interested in running a dive shop on the island. We control the whole island so there will be no competition.

Our website is www.balesin.com--Please PM me if interested.

shugar:
my friend's clan owns cagbalete island off the coast of mauban... i've been there several times in the past and it's really sandy... during low tide we'd have a hectare-sized sandbar (a LOT of fun w/ a full moon and lambanog hahahaha)

anyway, coming in i didn't spot any reef structures, scattered rocks and small corals, starfish, weeds... not very interesting diving if you're used to the usual local sites... the windward side of the island naman was very tempermental... very rocky...

i can get you in touch with them if you're interested though

Jag

hey Shugar! is this the same place you were talking about? :14:

http://www.cagbalete.tk

Known reefs in that part of Luzon are in Aurora, located southeast of Baler Bay. There's Dibut Bay, Añao Island, San Ildefonso and Dunog. Quite far from Real already, and like in Quezon they're mostly known for strong waves and currents.

Buildin artificial reef would be cool. There is this Japanese video I saw on tv that they are using unpolished ceramics to make 'em artificial reefs, very effective in collecting coral eggs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom