diving in Princeton, NJ area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddavid

Contributor
Reaction score
hi there, im heading to Princeton in a week's time for a short working trip and wondering;
a. what's the diving scene like over there? Any lakes etc i can dive? Also;
b. any good LDS in the area?

I tried searching the net but couldn't find much info.. am guessing the closest place i can find a good dive store is in Manhattan? If i can't dive, figured at least i shop for dive gear while im there.. Any info appreciated.. thanks much - ddavid

ddavid:
hi there, im heading to Princeton in a week's time for a short working trip and wondering;
a. what's the diving scene like over there? Any lakes etc i can dive? Also;

If you are able to dive in cold water, the diving off of jersey is pretty good. Lots of wrecks to hunt for artifacts, lobster, or spearfish on. The bottom temp lately has been in the low to mid 50's so a 7 mil wetsuit should be ok.

b. any good LDS in the area?

There are alot of dive shops in new jersey and southeast Pennsylvania. For pricing, Northeast Scuba Supply in Pennsylvania is hard to beat. You may want to try Lang's Ski and Scuba near Princeton or Hunterdon Scuba in Flemington for something closer.

There is a small shop the next town over in Windsor NJ. The scuba is called Underwater Connection NJ. You can locate it online at www.uwcnj.com. As for the diving in the area Dutch Springs is about 1 1/2 hours from princeton and is located in Hecktown PA. Or you can try some local shore diving.

Slack tide's at noon this weekend for the manasquan RR bridge dive. :wink:

There are dive shops aplenty in the area. None in Princeton proper that I know of, (Princeton Aqua Sports closed about 10 years ago), but there are several that are just great:

Scuba Connection in Hillsborough
Lang's Ski and Scuba in Ewing
Hunterdon Scuba in East Amwell

hey folks thanks very much for the advice.. gosh didnt know i had that many options.. good stuff.. i've copied down all these dive stores & dive locations.. dont think i can dive in cold water though as i've only got a 3mm (warm waters all year round over here in singapore) but i'll definitely make a couple of trips to the recommended dive stores.. I think LeisurePro is somewhere in Manhattan if i recall correctly.. will make a trip there on a weekend.. thanks..!

ddavid:
hey folks thanks very much for the advice.. gosh didnt know i had that many options.. good stuff.. i've copied down all these dive stores & dive locations.. dont think i can dive in cold water though as i've only got a 3mm (warm waters all year round over here in singapore) but i'll definitely make a couple of trips to the recommended dive stores.. I think LeisurePro is somewhere in Manhattan if i recall correctly.. will make a trip there on a weekend.. thanks..!

Don't forget that LeisurePro is Jewish owned so closed on Saturday but open on Sunday. I just moved to East Windsor (10 miles east of Princeton) and every time we go to the city, it's always a Saturday. Actually, wife and I are going to take a vacation on a Wednesday in Dec to visit LeisurePro and then B&H Photo.

Rob

hey robstrash thanks for the useful tip.. didnt know they're closed on saturdays.. was planning to go there on a saturday actually.. will go elsewhere i guess.. know of any other good scuba stores in manhattan? I searched the web but it looks like leisurepro is probably the most prominent one there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom