diving in Portland and Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJedi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Good day all P.N.W. divers.....Whites is looking to put on a demo day in the Portland, and Seattle area. As I have never dove in either location, I am wondering where the best place to dive and test some drysuits in these locations would be.

Can anyone out there help me?

Cheers, and happy diving

Tyler

Well, to my knowledge the two most popular sites in the Seattle area (Cove 2 and Edmonds Underwater Park) prohibit commercial enterprises like you're describing.

You'll want a place where there's good parking, easy entry/exit to the dive site, and access to restrooms and other facilities. Perhaps Les Davis Pier in Tacoma. Possibly Redondo Beach in Federal Way.

DUI typically does their DOG Days events at Owens Beach (also in Tacoma) ... but be advised that it's current-sensitive and needs to be planned accordingly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As far as diving in the city of Portland, we usually drive to the Puget Sound to dive because there is no diving in the city.

DUI does their DOG days at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. It is a wonderful facility and the diving there is probably the best shore dive in Oregon.

I would second Bobs' recommendation for either Les Davis in Tacoma or Redondo in Federal Way/DesMoines...both have parking, restrooms and convienient to the freeway. They are also not current sensitive...dive anytime (however vis might be an issue :) )
K

Les Davis might be a better choice logistically. I think there is more parking there and the shore line there has much more room for staging and getting geared up.

Not much around the Portland area that would be suitable. The only thing that is even close would be Kline Line Lake in Vancouver or some place like that but the vis would suck.

I will keep my eye on this thread. I can't wait to see some of the new Whites suits.
I will be happy to meet up and test a few of your suits for you.

Do you take old Whites suits as a trade in on a new model? :D
I will be happy to bring mine to show how well a Whites holds up after years of use and a few hundred dives or so.

I agree Les Davis is more central.
I think Redondo would be a nice choice is sites.

Most Portland dives come to Seattle or Hoodcanal for diving.

Thanks for your interest everyone. I am currently looking for an Elite dive team team in the washington/oregon area. We recieve applications from all around the world....but I have not recieved any for the PNW south of the border. They bang down our doors here in BC, and Eastern Canada/USA

There will be lots of benefits, please feel free to go to the Whites Manufacturing thread and look up the elite diver thread.

As an update we will be at the Northwest dive news treasure hunt in june, and I am working with local dive centers to host a "try it on event", that will allow you to try on any of our suits, in as many different sizes that I can.

Let your LDS know, have them or yourself contact me.....my door is always open ;-)
Cheers all,

Tyler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom