Diving in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
going to Honolulu first week of July, hope to have my certification by then, so this will be my first official dive, what is a good dive shop to go with good sites.

Lots of dive shops On Oahu. Just look around a bit. If you're staying in Waikiki, most of the dive shops have free hotel pick-up & drop-offs. Just be sure to tell them that these will be your first dives after getting your cert. So they don't book you onto a dive that's beyond your skill level. Mostly likely you will do the afternoon dives, they are usually easier dives and more shallow than the morning dives. (but still lots to see) The morning dives are usually deep and/or wreck dives. And if you're going to do more than one day of diving, most shops have muti-day packages. So you can save some money.

Last December I dove with Gabe Scotti from Kaimana Divers (see Kaimana Divers: SCUBA Diving in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, Waikiki) and had an awesome time. On SB Gabe is scottitheduck. There is a favourable post about him on SB here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ha...t-scotti-duck-gabe-scotti-kaimana-divers.html.

As for dive sites, let your outfitter decide - tell them your skill level (cert and number of dives) and what interests you (e.g., coral, fish, wrecks, etc.) and let them decide where you should go based upon your supplied information and the weather.

The first week of July is a great time for a diver to stay on the North Shore. Deep Ecology should be launching from Haleiwa then, but why in the world wouldn't you just ask Deep Ecology?

One could easily do 2 guided shore dives each, at Shark's Cove and Three Tables, an see mostly different terain each dive. Then reverse the order the next day and see each site at a totally different time of day. A couple days of North Shore boat diving would very probably be 4 different good sites, but I think the shore diving is great.

I go to Oahu in Septembers mostly, and someone usually has to pay me to get me to do a wreck dive; otherwise I'd just as soon shore dive the North Shore.

Back
Top Bottom