Diving in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sassalin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

My husband and I are thinking about going to Oahu. Does anyone have a good dive shop they have used in the past?

Also, how is the diving and any favorite dive spots. Currents? Visibility? Things we should know before we go? My husband and I are certified open water divers with three or four deep dives under our belt (14 dives total, just certified in March).

Last but not least, I know about Pearl Harbor but what other things are there to do for the rest of our family while we are diving?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Ally :D

I just returned from Oahu and used Island Divers. They are a top notch dive shop with a very friendly staff. Our deepest dive was the Corsair at 107 ft. If you decide on them, you won't be disappointed.

Last but not least, I know about Pearl Harbor but what other things are there to do for the rest of our family while we are diving?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Ally :D

Aloha Ally,

This thread my help you a bit with top side ideas and I would really recommend the revealed books...great information that tells it like it is. Try half.com :blinking:

I also would give my vote for Island Diver's Hawaii. Did my cert dives with them 1.5 years ago. Check out their website. Hawaii Scuba Diving with Island Divers Hawaii - Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, Waikiki

They called me before my trip to Hawaii to make sure everything was on schedule with my initial training. Matt Z was very helpful and made me feel like they were my LDS.
You will NOT be disappointed with them... Excellent instructor's and staff.

Just my .02

Ted Fitzsimmons

I'll cast a vote for Ocean Concepts (Scuba Diving Oahu with Ocean Concepts Hawaii - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii). Top notch operation, everything is professional, first class service, they own and operate their own boat, and they dive the west side of the island (Waianae) which (on average) has the best conditions. Unless you're staying there, it's a longer drive in the morning, but worth it, IMHO.
We've dove with Island Divers as well and enjoyed it, they cover different areas of the island. I would avoid Dive Oahu (horrible) and Aaron's (inconsistent at best).

Hope you enjoy your trip, and I'll second the recommendation for the Oahu Revealed book; we live here and we have it, along with the whole series (they've written similar books for all the major islands).

Aloha!

Aloha Ally, I will have to cast my vote for Barefootscubadivers, if you want a totally reliable, professional, safe and fun operation, then give them a call, they can cover all your diving needs while on the island. Definitely avoid Aaron's.
Happy diving!

I am currently here in Hawaii visiting and dived (dove?) electric beach the last 2 afternoons. I did it solo, but it would be great for couples or a family. Kids could snorkel while mom and dad dive. The depth at the end of the discharge pipe is only 25 feet and the amount of fish playing in the discharge is incredible. It is on the leeward side so even though the wind has been ripping this week, it has been diveable. I got an hour out of an AL 63 each day. The great part is you can dive on your schedule and not be tied to a boat sked, and it is free!
Look at shorediving.com, they give a good summary of the site, do's and dont's.

As far as dive shops, Ocean Concepts gets my vote. Best service I have ever had.

I am also staying at the Marriott Ko Olina, which is literally right next to EB. The hotel is plenty nice, big on golf (which I am not), but I chose it for it's proximity to EB and Waianae, which is where Ocean Concepts runs it's boat out of. I hate the crowds and traffic of Waikiiki.

Rob
Rob

I dive a lot on the other islands but have only been a couple of times to Oahu. I'll go for the obvious site and highly recommend Hanauma Bay on the SE corner of the island. The bay has a narrow mouth which makes it highly protected from most sea swells, and the coral outside the nearshore reef along the west edge is awesome. Don't let the crowds and trashed inner lagoon discourage you, the outside is worth it and few go out there. Much of the coral is pretty shallow and suitable even for snorkeling. Parking and access can be difficult later in the day, and on weekends as I recall, so go early. Since going there as a newbie, I've done 100 dives on Kona and Maui, and I'd go to Hanauma again in a minute if I had to be on Oahu. Others with more recent experience can refine my recommendation but I was thrilled with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom