Diving in November in Turkey (or Greece)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Turkey in the middle of November this year to Izmir/Cesme/Alanya
and possibly other coastal cities in between Izmir/Alanya.

Are diving schools/clubs still active at this time of year? I'll take my
equipment with me if I can do 2-4 dives over there.

It may also be possible for me to do a 1-2 day trip to Greece to islands close
by.

In the Aegean, scuba is done year round. You can still scuba dive during this season, however good conditions occur less often. So you need to check the weather, rather than make long term plans to dive way in advance of your arrival.

In November, the waters are beginning to cool down, probably in the low 70s F by then (20C +/-).

There are storms occasionally, at this time of year, with cold heavy rains and strong winds (unlike summer storms, when the rains and the winds are both warm and light).

I am not specifically familiar with Turkish scuba operations, only Greek, sorry. The closest Greek islands to you would be Santorini, with extensive scuba opportunities there.

I suggest that you bring your gear, and see what it looks like at the time you are there.

This area is very historic, with many archaeological sites dating to the Roman and Early Christian eras, as well as Islamic. It is very beautiful. You are very lucky to be able to make this trip!

Have a great visit!

Yiasas!

Thanks Nereas, I grew up in Izmir, however didn't scuba dive in that area. AFAIK tourism dies after october and all coastal towns go to sleep until next year. I've been abroad for a while now and I have no idea how local scuba shops work. If they all close down, then I'm probably out of luck...

Santorini is probably too far away although not out of the equation yet. I'll be visiting my parents and I need quick get aways from Alanya and Izmir.

My dive yesterday night was 56F here in the middle of summer in San Diego, CA. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, I will not make long terms arrangements per your
suggestion.

(But I will definitely arrange a trip specifically to visit beautiful Greek islands in the future for at least 6-7 days.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom