Diving in Louisiana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterborne

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good dive sites in the southern portion of Louisiana? Specifically around Houma and Morgan City. Any sites, gulf, inland lakes, springs. I don't know a thing about the area and may be there for a few months. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am originally from Houma. My family still lives there. I will call my brother and ask him. I know a lot of people love to dive the oil rigs out in the Gulf. But, I think there are a few people on the board from LA that may know more.

SCORE ResQ,

I am shocked because I couldn't find anyone who does any type of dive trips. In Houma, there is only one dive op or I should say dive school, Houma Watersports (985-879-2900). Evidently they don't do any of their dives there other than pool time. I asked about independant boats that might take you out to a couple of the rigs, etc. and she said no. But there is a boat that is getting "geared" up and might be up and running by the time you get there. I even tried Grand Isle and had no luck. I really don't know much about Morgan City.

But a thought would be for you to do what the locals do...drive up to Pensacola, FL when you have some time (i.e., for the weekend) and you will have no problem getting some good dives there.

Do you mind my asking what is bringing you to the area? Are yuo somehow connected to the oil industry? Some of the most fun/insane divers I have ever met were rig divers. Maybe use connections with your company? to find locals?

Sorry I couldn't help. :(

Thanks, for all the help kjunheart! I am thinking about leaving my ambulance behind and going for a career in commercial diving. I know it's crazy but bear with me. I found that Lousiana Technical College down there, with the help of Bob3. They have a good program for commercial diving and compared to the other schools around the country, they're dirt cheap. They are a state funded college so they can keep their tuition low. So yeah, I think that I'll have to do some serious searching when I get down there to see what I can come up with. I could always drive over to Florida, no problems there. Do you know if there are any springs that far west in Florida? I know there's a bunch of springs more east of there. I would like to take an intro to cave while I'm there but it may not be practical until I'm done with school.

sup dude,

i just moved here too from lafayette, la. me and 5 buddies are going spear fishing off the coast of venice, la this weekend. ill tell you how it goes.

lata

Trying to find dive charter boats to the Louisiana oil platforms can be difficult. None of the shops in the New Orleans area run their own boats. Some book trips with the local fishing charter operators or the oil field crew boats.
I ran a dive only charter back in the 80's and at that time I think I was the only one.
The Scuba Company site below may help you. Their site says they do weekly rig trips but I have no recent personal experience with them.

http://www.thescubaco.net/

Captain

For those of you looking to dive out of Lafayette Louisiana, maybe I can help. I offer rig diving charter trips out of Cypremort Point, Louisiana and would be more than happy to set you up with a trip. You can email me at deepsouthcharters.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom