Diving in Korea (an honest opinion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I have lived in Korea for five years and have been diving for about one year. (wet and Dry suit) My total diving experience and training have been in Korea. I have reached padi aow certification. (I still consider myself a beginner)
I have logged 60 dives in Korean waters; beach boat and night diving.

Frankly speaking diving in Korea has been a challenging and interresting experience for me, then again it is my only diving experience.

Conditions:
Korean waters are cold and the currents are considered strong. Visibility for the most part is from 1 to 5 meters at best. Especially along the western and southern coasts. The yellow sea and hallym/Namae waterway. From Seoul down south to around Pusan.
From Pusan up to Soecho which, is the eastern sea coast of Korea, the water becomes clearer ( the East sea, as it is called in Korea or better known as the sea of Japan.) Another resonably good diving location is on the Island of JeJu which is about 250 kilometers south of the mainland pennisula. ( probably the best diving in Korea)

Diving
Most of the diving in korea is hunt diving. Sea squirts, sea slugs, and all varieties of clams. Some spear fishing for sea bass and octopus. ( the laws on hunting are unclear, so leave it to the Koreans) They use spear guns and pole guns.
The typical dive shops in Korea are small outfits that make most of their money from selling equiptment and boat diving tours to the coastal islands where viibility is better.

safety: (Your on your own: You must be responsible for yourself and know your buddy)
safety is a concern but by no means up to the standards you would and should expect.
The boats are not equipted for safety. No life jackets. Wear your wet or dry suit from the time you leave the dock until you return. (don't pack your weights in your gear bag)The Koreans will think this is strange and uncomfortable, but it is your safety.
Most likely their will be very little or no first aid supplies.
There is only one decompression chamber I know of and it is at the Korean naval academy in Chin Hae (if they can get you there and it is accesable) Please check with the Korean Goverment about decompression chambers and facilities available.
My opinion is to Avoid decompression diving all together.
Many of the divers in Korea dive with only a primary regulator (No octo or spare air.)
Buddy diving is of course suggested but most of them are solo underwater most of the time.

Planning a dive

Of course most of the dive shop owners are Koreans and don't speak english. Possibly some of their staff do. Some of the shops on Seoul and Jeju Island specialize in dive tourism and have English speaking staff.

Equiptment:
Size is a problem for the big man.
email me for places to get equiptment.
I am 6 foot 250 lbs
I have found the only places that supply divers my size.

Korean divers are freindly but language is the biggest obsticle.

I know some Korean dive shops with english speaking instructors and staff. feel free to email me for more information.

Thank you so much for sharing the info on Korea. I plan on going there in July and I look forward to getting a dive or two or three in; especially diving near Cheju.
I heard that the diving is more resonable near Cheju. How about the viz there?
You could take a trip down to the Philippines or Palau and experience some nice viz and :shark: :shark:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom