Diving in Koh Tao, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many many people come here to learn to dive, after all it is one of the cheapest places in the world to learn how to do this life changing activity. As a result there are nearly 40 dive centres for you to choose from and this can be a little off putting !! However this really does give you the choice and centres certainly cater to different needs.

I've worked here as a dive instructor over the past 6 years and am writing this to help make your choice easier and hopefully more informed.

Ask yourself what you want from your course....

Are you happy in a large group or would you prefer smaller groups? On the whole the biggest dive centres teach in the biggest groups, great if you are travelling on your own and want to meet new people. However if you are a little nervous and want some more personal attention then check out the smaller dive centres, these often guarantee a maximum of four and are happy to teach in classes of 1 or 2 also.

Do you want a lively resort who will offer a busy after dive party scene or do you want to chill, then choose your location carefully.

What kind of accommodation do you want? Most places offer rooms within the resort and are happy to recommend somewhere else too if you would like something a bit different.

What sort of location do you want; the main and central area of Sairee which has a wide range of food, accommodation and nightlife but can be a bit too busy and noisy for some; your arrival point of Mae Haad which is certainly quieter at night but ensures you have easy access to everything or Chalok Ban Khao which is a quieter beach located on the south side.

What language would you like to complete your course in? On Koh Tao you are very likely to be able to find an instructor to teach you in your own language.

Do not worry that there is a choice of PADI and SSI courses. Each are valid licences and most SSI instructors are PADI instructors too - so you will benefit from the same experience which ever you choose.

Booking before arrival is a good idea as it ensures you have the accommodation reserved for you and a free taxi from the pier. This means you dont have to deal with touts and haggle with taxi drivers upon arrival after a long journey. But why not just book one nights accommodation at a resort of your choice , this will also get you a free transfer. You will have somewhere to stay and then can have a relaxed wander around a few dive centres and choose for yourself. Remember it is the cheap accommodation that gets snapped up first and not the availability of dive courses so atleast this way you get to have a look around for yourself.
How are your questions answered in the dive centre, are the staff friendly and patient? Do they take the time to explain what you will be doing? If the person you talk to is going to be your instructor, are they enthusiastic and passionate? What exactly is included in the course? What is their refund policy if you can’t complete the course and what happens if you have difficulty with some exercises and need more time? Do you warm to the environment?
To choose your dive centre before arrival I would advise speaking to fellow travellers and getting their recommendations and thoughts, look for reviews on online forums and check out websites. Bear in mind though that as the biggest centres have the more students then there will be more references made to them. Prices vary little but I would not advise simply booking the cheapest, would you bungee jump with the cheapest operator?
Look for what you want based on the answers to the above questions and if you have to pay a few hundred Baht more to get it, then thats not so bad. You will only learn to dive once so make sure you are in the environment that you want not simply the cheapest one !

Dont be pushed and take your time - when you have spoken to a few - go and grab yourself a well earned beer, have a little think and decide.

All great advice.except the age old West Coast High Jack one

Wouldn't it be nice if we could charge more, teach less divers, get better boats, environment gets hammered less and we don't get the cheapskates. But they keep on coming in their hoards, all painted upand fisherman trousered.

Always seems as though the people who moan most pay the least. The ironic thing is the problems that are descibed , and very real, are caused by the tourists that complain about them.

Roll on the recession, could be a blessing in disguise

Jamie MV Trident

I just wanted to let anyone know that is ALREADY a diver to really consider Koh Tao and what it is like BEFORE going there.....

I am personally spoiled....certified in warm Hawaiian waters....in a small group with amazing instructors...Took my advanced and nitrox classes with the same group a few months later...

They never mixed classes with advanced divers...and my other diving experiences are Hawaii...Caribbean....Keys & Galapagos live-aboards. This was my first Thai dive trip.

This was OUR MISTAKE and I take all responsibility!!!! I just thought it would be good to share it so other divers.

You are right - CHEAP means CHEAP. Even in this economy I would make a completely different decision next time regardless of the cost. This is what we love to do - so, it's worth it to make the experience one to talk about over and over again....like that Peter Hughes trip to Galapagos....(don't get me started!!! AMAZING)

Thanks for the feedback on this.....I hope to TRULY check out the Similians before the November trip!!!

Thanks for all the feedback,
Debbie

I don't think you started anything.
You gave a honest (maybe biased, but that' the nature) opinion.

It was the random "come to the other coast" response that was out of left field. I love the west coast too. I've worked on both coasts in my two years of living in Thailand.

Unfortunately, that re-tread of a conversation has been, and is always being debated on about 372 other posts on SB. Plus it had nothing to do with the OPs question.

Koh Tao Resort- Large resort, but much smaller dive operation. Caters to a more... how should we say... mature (?) crowd. Very nice facilities and experienced crew. Prices are slightly higher than "normal" because groups are smaller and the operation is aimed outside the typical backpacker tourist box.

I stayed at Koh Tao Resort and I'm totally immature.

Glad its not only me that has these type of problems.
Or is it just not many of us speak out about it?

LK...do you hear yourself? You are literally taking delight in others misfortunes because it might possibly confirm your silly thesis that all dive shops in Thailand suck. Man...you should consider getting some help. Have you ever considered that for most of us, most every dive experience in Thailand has been great. Even my trip to your favorite target of vitriol - Pattaya, was an amazing dive trip with a great operator.

In Koh Tao, I had a great dive experience with a shop in Sairee and stayed at a great hotel in Chalok Baan Kao. I virtually guaranteed a great experience by doing some research, spending some time communicating with the dive shop (Ayesha can confirm how annoying I was ;-) ) and hotel via email etc. to get a sense of who I was dealing with. The result was that I either scratched them off my list or changed my own expectations. You have to take responsibility for your own experiences and not blame others.

There are great operators throughout Thailand that may sometimes be hard to see behind the big flashy logos of the major operators. But like anything you are buying...you should always do your homework and be skeptical of the largest and/or least expensive vendors - especially when you know that the target demographic is a group of tourists who value price over comfort, quality and personal space. It's a no brainer in a free market economy.

:deadhorse:

I just wanted to let anyone know that is ALREADY a diver to really consider Koh Tao and what it is like BEFORE going there.....

I am personally spoiled....certified in warm Hawaiian waters....in a small group with amazing instructors...Took my advanced and nitrox classes with the same group a few months later...

They never mixed classes with advanced divers...and my other diving experiences are Hawaii...Caribbean....Keys & Galapagos live-aboards. This was my first Thai dive trip.

This was OUR MISTAKE and I take all responsibility!!!! I just thought it would be good to share it so other divers.

You are right - CHEAP means CHEAP. Even in this economy I would make a completely different decision next time regardless of the cost. This is what we love to do - so, it's worth it to make the experience one to talk about over and over again....like that Peter Hughes trip to Galapagos....(don't get me started!!! AMAZING)

Thanks for the feedback on this.....I hope to TRULY check out the Similians before the November trip!!!

Thanks for all the feedback,
Debbie

Just a shame you picked a dive school that is always very busy with student divers, there;s plenty that take half a dozen certified divers to good dive sites at quiet times of the day. Costs a bit more but the operators aren't getting rich, promise you.

Jamie MV Trident

Just a shame you picked a dive school that is always very busy with student divers, there;s plenty that take half a dozen certified divers to good dive sites at quiet times of the day. Costs a bit more but the operators aren't getting rich, promise you.

Jamie MV Trident

Some don't even cost more. Avoid the mills. Take your time and you will find an operator who is right for you.

LK...do you hear yourself? You are literally taking delight in others misfortunes because it might possibly confirm your silly thesis that all dive shops in Thailand suck. Man...you should consider getting some help. Have you ever considered that for most of us, most every dive experience in Thailand has been great. Even my trip to your favorite target of vitriol - Pattaya, was an amazing dive trip with a great operator.

In Koh Tao, I had a great dive experience with a shop in Sairee and stayed at a great hotel in Chalok Baan Kao. I virtually guaranteed a great experience by doing some research, spending some time communicating with the dive shop (Ayesha can confirm how annoying I was ;-) ) and hotel via email etc. to get a sense of who I was dealing with. The result was that I either scratched them off my list or changed my own expectations. You have to take responsibility for your own experiences and not blame others.

There are great operators throughout Thailand that may sometimes be hard to see behind the big flashy logos of the major operators. But like anything you are buying...you should always do your homework and be skeptical of the largest and/or least expensive vendors - especially when you know that the target demographic is a group of tourists who value price over comfort, quality and personal space. It's a no brainer in a free market economy.

:deadhorse:

You are just talking crap now.

I have never said all dive shops in Thailand suck. Yes I have had certainly my worst diving experiences in Thailand, but also some of my best. please tell me where I made that statement???
How can I take responsibility if a shop promises something, I pay my money and then they give me something completely different???
And also your statement about cost is absolute rubbish, yes some cheaper operators cut corners to keep prices down, we all know that, is it called common sence or something? Some of the most expensive day trips I have done in Thailand have been the worst. and i have personally seen a 16000 baht open water course done in 2 very short days, ie a total of about 10 hours time from the instructor.
if you think service like that is value for money then you are deluded and a fool.
I shall not mention the location of this shop in this instance because there is a special thread for pattaya.
I am not taking delight in others misfortunes, I am simply fed up with certain operators charging too much for the service they provide, and when I say that I dont mean i want everything to be cheap, just simply to be provided with what I have paid for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom