Diving in Key Largo, Fl...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Ventures is a good outfit, so is Silent World. Gone out with both a ton.

Silent World has a package deal for 10 dives for something just over $250 or so.

For places to stay. Hungry Pelican is good and cheap. Recently stayed at the Seafarer Hotel and it was decent too. Mind you nothing fancy on either of these but diver friendly.

Feb can be very hit or miss in Florida. Cold fronts equal big winds and no diving. They roll through every week or two or so. Somehow they always time themselves to weekends while the middle of the week is dead calm- sucks for us locals. No matter, I have no idea how you feel about diving in big seas, but the odds are better of getting out on bigger boats. Ocean Divers uses a 46 foot Newton which is probably your best bet in Key Largo. I much prefer the smaller boats such as Blue Water Diver, but if the wind is blowing Ocean Divers is usually the last to pack it in. Just be sure to use common sense and dive within your training and experience level.
Have to agree with you - reluctantly - because I hate cattle boats and Ocean Divers, while an excellent operator, and very professional, is the original cattle boat operator in Key Largo -

My choice in Key Largo is HMS Minnow - super operator, but the boat is a six pack; 26 feet.

Just have to keep your fingers crossed re the weather - other problem with the Keys is depth - or lack of depth - if it gets rough, it can be real surgy (sp?) - hope it works for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom