Diving in Kauai???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cppike79

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be traveling to Kauai in early July, and wanted to get some insight into the diving there.

First off I'll be travelling with my wife (non-diver), so it is not a dive trip per se, but I would still like to sneak in a couple days worth of diving. I've dove Maui before, but know very little about kauai.

We'll be staying at the Cliffs Club in Princeville (Also is this a good part of the island to be on?) the second week of July.

I was wondering how good the diving is there, what the conditions are like, and also any recomendations for a good dive op on that side of the island. I try to avoid the "Cattle boats" at all costs, so if there are any dive ops over there that offer small boats w/ 6-8 divers that would be ideal.

Also on a non-diving note, if you have any recomendations for places to eat, and things to do please share those as well. My wife and I are very into outdoor activities, and from what I've heard kauai is loaded with great things to do and places to explore.

Thanks in advance..........

The following list was given to me by someone who grew up on Kauai:

Things To Do on Kauai:
  • Waimea
  • Helio Tour
  • Na Pali Coast
  • Hanalei - Shopping
  • Tea @ The Princeville Resort @ sunset
  • Lighthouse @ Kilauea (near Princeville)
  • Poipu - Spouting Horn Lava Tube
  • Roy's
  • Pacific Cafe - Kapaa
  • Farm w/Clydesdales Kiahunua
  • Beach House
  • Pulihale State Park
  • Sugar Cane Field
  • Kokee State Park
  • Luau
  • Orginized tour where they filmed a number of movies
  • Whale Watches
  • Glass Beach
One of my favorite dive ops leaves from the south (Port Allen), not ideal from Princeville but it may well be worth it, is Bubbles Below (http://www.bubblesbelowkauai.com/). Linda Marsh and her staff do a great job. You might look into a trip to Ni'ihau (they can only go there from May through November). I've heard great things about those trips but have never been there during "season".

Have fun!

I've dove with Fathom Five for a long long time and they do a great job. They are also the last of the 6 passenger dive boats on the island. Their captains have all been diving and captaining in Hawaii for between 10-20 years and the DM's there are great. If you have any specific questions just let me know. I did their 3 tank premium trip with Anthony and Len my last trip and did some awesome out of the way spots. The new owner has kept it smaller and stayed away from large groups that the other shops have gone to (8-12). They have a multiple days discount and also rinse and store gear for no extra charge.

The last of the six pack operations.......

The problem with these boats is that you cannot move around on your surface interval. They also have no swim ladders so you have to take off your gear in the water and crawl back onto the swim step. I much prefer a giant stride to a backwards roll.

Seasport may put more divers on the boats, but lets say there are 8 divers on the boat --- it's 2 groups of 4. Also with the seas around Kauai being as bumpy as they are, I would not want to be on one of those small boats.

And Seasport and Bubbles are the only companies that go to Niihau. dont let anyone else tell you they go. they don't. They'll just get there and take you on a 3tank local trip and when it comes diving on Kauai, you need to see Niihau, probably the best diving in the island chain.

If you want to make a decision of who to dive with, get on island, go to either shop, and ask to check out their rental gear, take a look at their operation, and take a look at their boats down in the harbor. Make your own decision, but I think it's a no-brainer.

Well, I've never decided on a dive company based on my ability to "move around" on a surface interval. And regarding Kauai I have always enjoyed Fathom Fives option of going into the harbor on surface intervals when anyone is interested. True - you do have to climb back on the boat - but it's great that they take your gear at the side of the boat to make it very easy to reboard even in bumpy seas. I'm not sure but it sounds like the previous response was possibly from someone who hasn't actually been on the boat. I'd be curious what company the instructor works for. Anyway, no matter. You are likely to be very happy with any of the top three operators on the island. I did do a trip this past year with one of the bigger boats when I couldnt get out for a day that fathom was booked. The captains in particular were very nice and the boat was very comfortable though I just prefer the smaller groups. I can safely say that my name certainly wasnt remembered at the end of the day with all the divers. We did actually end up diving at Sheraton Caverns with Fathom at this company at the same time. It's a popular site that I had already been to - but other divers in the group wanted to go there apparently. I guess it's less likely to have your requests met with more divers as well but I couldn't complain to much as it is a really fun dive.

After reading this previous post I double checked some of the FACTS. I did make 2 trips to Niihau with Fathom last year and they were awesome trips. Not only that, but they were on a larger new boat. Since this info sounded fishy about "no Niihau" and "small boats" I inquired with them via email. They do have a new boat (still) and are taking the summer off of Niihau while it gets dry docked for what they said were upgrades including new engines. Check with them for yourself via email. They are very responsive and you'll be very happy with the help they give you regarding any questions even if you decide to dive with someone else. I have all my own gear but if I recall they offer all new Seaquest gear for rental. The bc's are also integrated which I didnt expect. They also let me use a computer for free for a week on a vacation that I had one die.

Anyway, for making decisions on activities on the island (and diving is certainly no different) I suggest looking into the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. I've planned all my family trips using it and have NEVER been anything but pleased with the suggestions within. They suggest Fathom very very highly and that is why I have been diving with them for so long.

In addition to urmerger's suggestions I would check on the experience of the staff. That should be true of anywhere you go. A divemaster with 6 months of Hawaii diving experience can be great.... A divemaster with 6 years of diving - well, that can be just amazing.

This year when I return I will again do all my local dives with Fathom and have booked (just this week) with Bubbles Below for a trip to Niihau. While I understand they have mostly new staff - the owner has been diving there for well over 10 years. I'll leave an update when I return. They indicated that the trip is a shorter one by 45 minutes or more by leaving from their harbor. Between the experience of the owner who leads most of the dives there - and the short trip I thought I'd give it a try. They still say I can get out there with 8 max on the trip. Just sounds better than a crowd.

anyway - good luck. I hope you have a great trip no matter where you dive. Oh, and check out the dive at Tunnels beach! It is a shore dive - but the lava tubes are awesome. I got a real close encounter with a small shark there in a tube and got my hand cleaned by a shrimp there!

Oooh, I cant wait to go back

You have been good advice. I too had a great time on Kauai last November. We chose SeaSports in Poipu and had a wonderful time with them. Even though they have a larger boat, we found it was not overcrowded and the Dive Masters really wanted everyone to have a good time.
Brenneke Beach is a great place to snorkel with kids or your non-diving wife. It has a nice calm shallow area she will enjoy.

Dave

I also reccomend Poipu beach for snorkeling and swimming. Very shallow, protected, life guard on duty and very good access.

I dove with Sea Sport Divers when I was there in February. I had a good time and they know all the locations.

Another vote for bubbles below. Linda Marsh is top notch. They treated us well.

We stayed in Princeville...not much going on up there, and no diving. If you want to dive, you gotta go south. It's worth the trip to Poipu...

Gotta do Waimea canyon and Napali coast...

If you want to dive, you don't have to go south! Shore diving is seasonal off all the Hawaiian Islands and Kauaii is no different. In the summer, most of the storms that produce surf swells are in the southern hemisphere (their winter). Surfers go south in the summer, divers go north. Tunnels reef is one of my favorite shore dive sites in all of Hawaii, with dozens of divable caverns and lava tubes. When I lived there, most of our summer dives were at Tunnels, even late afternoon and night dives when winds were calm. Be sure to go with an experienced local guide, most bad reviews of Hawaii shore diving are from experienced cheapskates who dove on their own!

Arguably the best diving in the Hawaiian Islands is off Ni'ihau, and a big reason is due to how few divers get there. It is an all day trip; 6:30am - ~5:30pm from Pt. Allen, 6am - ~6pm from Poipu, both a long ways from Princeville, and there are a few canceled trips even in June (weather). You will have to leave before sunrise and will not get back to Princeville until sunset or later, but from your profile it still might be worth it (~$270). A two tank morning shore dive trip to Tunnels will have you back on the trail with your sweetie by noon, and she could snorkel above you for some of it.

Be sure to give us a trip report afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom