Diving in Kauai with a nondiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I’m going to Kauai with a non-diving significant other in October. Are there any dive companies that will allow snorkelers to join the boat dives? I’ve already looked at a few dive shop websites and none of them mention snorkelers. I know some companies offer options for non-certified divers but my significant other can’t dive due to some ENT issues. Also, any recommendations for dive shops for me as a diver who hasn’t been diving in several years? I’ll need to do a refresher course and prefer to go with a dive guide.

Give Fathom Five a call. Explain your situation and I think that they'll have some options for you two.

I've almost always used Fathom Five. I think I've dove with them every other year for almost 10 years? (I'd have to check my log book.)

I've always had an incredible captain and DM. I haven't used their training. There are other high-rated ops, I just don't remember any of the names.

Be aware that (almost) all the diving is on the south side, especially late in the year when the north shore can be rough. If you're staying up on the North side (like Hana or Princeville), it's a 20-30 min drive (at least) down to the south,

I have been there twice with a non-diving spouse. In fact, I have dived all over the world with a non-diving spouse. She loves to snorkel, and she will accompany me on boats when it makes sense to do so.

Note the phrase "when it makes sense to do so." She has done liveaboards with me in Australia and boat trips in Belize. She snorkeled the Blue Hole in Belize--the outer reef is beautiful. She did every boat trip we did in 3 weeks in Palau. She did the manta ray dive in Kona and had a great experience.

She did not, however, dive with me on Kauai. The snorkeling experiences there off of a boat were not good. If the features are too deep for good snorkeling, you are better off with the spouse snorkeling off a beach or on a special snorkeling boat rather than accompanying you on a boat and looking at water. When we were in Belize together, while I was diving on several days she booked a snorkel guide who gave her an outstanding experience that she still remembers fondly. After the Blue Hole trip in Belize, a guide took her on a great trip on Half Moon Caye.

There is no reason that a diver and a snorkeler can't have a great vacation together if they just understand that it does not always make sense for them to be together.

That said - the Manta dive at Kona is a perfect diver and snorkler combo. I dove, she snorkled and she's probably more antsy to do it again than I am!

Every shop here will have a snorkel option. A favorite site to scuba and snorkel is "Hale O Honu" (House of Turtles). It is an insanely critter rich dive with great shallow snorkeling with healthy coral and plenty turtles. The southwest to western side of Kauai have some really cool spots that are less crowded. Our website has descriptions of dive sites if you want a fun read to give you some ideas of our sites. Feel free to DM if you have any specific Kauai questions, even if it's non diving related, I'd be happy to help you out.

^

My son and I did shore and boat dives with Nick and crew of Explore Kauai Scuba a few years ago and can highly recommend him.

I have been there twice with a non-diving spouse. In fact, I have dived all over the world with a non-diving spouse. She loves to snorkel, and she will accompany me on boats when it makes sense to do so.

Note the phrase "when it makes sense to do so." She has done liveaboards with me in Australia and boat trips in Belize. She snorkeled the Blue Hole in Belize--the outer reef is beautiful. She did every boat trip we did in 3 weeks in Palau. She did the manta ray dive in Kona and had a great experience.

She did not, however, dive with me on Kauai. The snorkeling experiences there off of a boat were not good. If the features are too deep for good snorkeling, you are better off with the spouse snorkeling off a beach or on a special snorkeling boat rather than accompanying you on a boat and looking at water. When we were in Belize together, while I was diving on several days she booked a snorkel guide who gave her an outstanding experience that she still remembers fondly. After the Blue Hole trip in Belize, a guide took her on a great trip on Half Moon Caye.

There is no reason that a diver and a snorkeler can't have a great vacation together if they just understand that it does not always make sense for them to be together.
Agreed

Hello, I’m going to Kauai with a non-diving significant other in October. Are there any dive companies that will allow snorkelers to join the boat dives? I’ve already looked at a few dive shop websites and none of them mention snorkelers. I know some companies offer options for non-certified divers but my significant other can’t dive due to some ENT issues. Also, any recommendations for dive shops for me as a diver who hasn’t been diving in several years? I’ll need to do a refresher course and prefer to go with a dive guide.
I go with Bubbles Below. They are just great. All the dives I’ve done with them are on the south side. Maybe 45 to 60 feet.
I’ve never seen a snorkel person on the boats. It’s just too deep.
However, last time I asked for a shore dive and they took me and another diver on a shore dive, so you could call and ask. I’m not optimistic though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom