Diving in Kansas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NigerHadiza

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have returned from Japan and am living with my parents in Ohio. I have applied for a job in Kansas and will have an interview soon. I am really hoping to get this job (but who knows what will happen?)! So, if I do happen to move out there...what is the diving like? No ocean for miles of course in all directions. I've only been divinging in the ocean and not in lakes and was wondering how it really is. Are there many dive clubs?

Being from KS, I can tell you that there isn't really any diving around there! Unless, you are looking to go diving in a farm pond, yuck! You will have to either go to AR or MO to get in any diving.

Uh, at the expense of repeating myself, there is no scuba diving in Kansas, scientifically proven flatter than a pancake. Not native to here and having lived lot's of places the wind blew us in here one day and we stuck. We actually like it and the location, centrally located and equally far from everything, it is great. It is quicker to tow the Boston Whaler to the Great lakes than to my home Gulf, Colorado is not that far and two days of hard driving will put you in either Florida or sunny southern California, how much more convenient could you want? Air lines you say---they practically invented airplanes here yet there is essentially no air service for the entire state, course, when we moved here we had an airplane and at the time figured what was a thousand miles anyways!

Dude, there is no diving here--NONE. There is some decent diving, actually quite fun over in Missouri at Table Rock Lake and I herar tell of some places down in Oklahoma but since Texas and Oklahoma went to war over a border dispute some decades ago and Louisiana took Texas side I am afraid to go down there. Besides, I hear those Okies have bad dental hygene. Theat is what they say up here in Kansas.

Being sincere, Kansas has some great job opportunities and nice people, just no scuba diving. Here is a picture of our pond, if I divert the full flow of my well into it I can have 12 feet of semi clear water like stuff in it but as you can see we are not diving today.

DSCF0188.jpg

My goofey wife says hello, as you can see, we are not KSU or Okie fans.

DSCF0186.jpg

It is a lovely day, about 50 degrees with 50 miles per hour winds, one of my dogs got blown up into the top of a cotton wood, I better go get him down before he winds up in Minnesota.

I have a six acre back yard, a creek, deer, turkeys, pheasents, my very own coyote, a beaver, a racoon, some skunks, three crows and a hermit lady with a drunk son who sometimes crosses the fence in his undewear and passes out. I poked at him with a stick one time to make sure he was not dead, he does seem to have decent dental hygene.

Speak of the devil, my coyote stopped by just now, he is very large, kind of reddish with a white face. He lives back in my dirt pile, a fine fellow, if you look to the whitish looking gravel road that ends where my barn will be, just to the right of the cotton wood and right on the very end of the road, you will see the coyote standing there looking at me. He is about 50 pounds and very healthy. I have put the word out that anyone mess with him and they gonna see the end of my barrel aiming to their direction.

DSCF0189.jpg

N

Hi Nemrod. Thanks for the funny pics and stories of your life there. I'm not sure if I'll be getting this job or not though, but I am ready for a change. How's the winter season there? A bit brisk? :)

Take care and maybe we can go diving one day.

Anna-

Winter in KS just stinks...lots of cold north wind, sometimes ice on top of snow or the other way around and it makes for not so fun time.

Every spring the folks at the waterski lake outside Lawrence need divers to recover the buoy lines that broke during the winter. You get to dive all day from a fancy ski boat and drink their beer when you’re done though you’ll be diving in mud that’s only 6’ deep (or is that 6’ of mud). Other than that you’d better head to Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, or points further away.

The climate here is best described as harsh. It is a hot windy summer followed by a cold windy winter. It is a four season climate but fall and spring are not quite as clearly defined as in more moderate climates.

Winter--north freezing wind, sleet, ice, snow
Spring--windy, stormy, cool, wet(er)
Summer--the rain ends on June 30, burning south winds, occasional storms, highs can go over 110
Fall--- the rain returns about the end of Sept., cooler and perhaps not as windy.

The lakes here are more like mud holes, there are no navigable waterways

This place is all but a desert, we moved here from the Sonaran Desert of Arizona so it is not like we don't know what a desert is.

The people here are friendly, hard working, skilled, high average education level, unpretentious.

BTW, recently Wichita was given a top ten slot for medium sized cities for all around life quality.

Oh, traffic, people here get in a fret if you see another car.

N

now now.. lets not totally discourage the person... We can dive in Wilson Lake... its not a total loss.. However dismal it may seem.. Course rumor has it there isn't much to see there... Think someone said they sunk some OSU fans once.. Perhaps a LSU fan or two to go with the Nebraska fan..
Ahh but I digress.
Anyway.. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dale_n_ks/album/576460762315689718
is wilson lake.. hope the link works anyway...

No, no, no!! The Cornhuskers were sunk in Melvern Lake and you can easily find them by the bright red shirts they’re wearing – on a day with good viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom