Diving in July - Suggestions for all-inclusive resorts that non-divers will like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KarinW

Registered
Reaction score
I am an experianced diver (GBR, Papau New Guinea, Fiji, etc) that is going to Belize with non-divers. We will be going in July and will combine the jungle activities with the trip (i.e., half the time in the jungle, and half on the beach).

We would prefer a nice all-inclusive place that has dive packages. And we are pretty open as to the area.

In the alternative, if there are not great all-inclusive places, do you have other resort recommendations that have good dive packages? And, while I am at it - any all-inclusive jungle resorts you can recommend?

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

We would prefer a nice all-inclusive place that has dive packages. And we are pretty open as to the area.

Assuming your non-divers would be satisfied to kick back on a small island 30 miles off the coast with no tvs, telephones, roads, cars etc then I'd recommend Turneffe Island Resort at the southern tip of the Turneffe Atoll. You can find trip reports on TIR on this board. We've been there twice for a total of three weeks and love it. It's kind of like summer camp for adults in a tropical island paradise type setting.

There are two other inclusive resorts on the Turneffe Atoll: Turneffe Flats and Blackbird Caye Resort that you may want to check out as well.

I think Hamanasi in Hopkins is inclusive but I know they have dive packages and you can launch jungle tours from there since it's on the mainland. I haven't been there but the place gets stellar reviews.

In the alternative, if there are not great all-inclusive places, do you have other resort recommendations that have good dive packages?

Splash Diver Center in Placencia offers dive packages and your choice of accomodations ranging from budget to resort. Perhaps the latter would be otherwise inclusive.

And, while I am at it - any all-inclusive jungle resorts you can recommend?

I got nothing on this but I'm sure others will jump in.

Last edited:
Another option along the same lines is Thatch Caye Resort, on a private island a few miles offshore at Dangriga. Idyllic peaceful surroundings, attentive but unobtrusive service, and an in-house dive center where you'll quite possibly be the only guests. The boat goes out when YOU want it to. Although it's offshore they run many mainland-based tours.

A place similar in feel is Tranquility Bay Resort at the far northern end of Ambergris Caye, a 45 minute boat ride from the bustle of San Pedro. Also wonderfully peaceful and - well, tranquil. Again with its own dive center largely at your beck and call.

Assuming this is the sort of place you're looking for. At the edge of San Pedro you'll find The Tides, a small Belizean owned and run resort with a strong following. And again their own dive center. Not only are they very popular but they also offer very good deals. PM me for more info.

Once we get to mainstream-type operations there's no limit. If diving is only a minor group concern you might prefer somewhere closer to mainland interests. Look at Hopkins (where Hamanasi is located), Placencia a bit further south, or for a real tourist-free experience right at the edge of the jungle look at the places around Punta Gorda, as far south as you can go in Belize. There are mega-expensive boutique jungle resorts and others which are far more affordable and offer all the same essentials.

I should have said. All-inclusives are few and far between in Belize and you'll be excluding most of the interesting places if you restrict yourselves to them. Most people welcome the opportunity to get out and explore the local area, and to eat and drink locally. All-inclusives are great where either there's nothing worth seeing anywhere around or it's too dangerous to go out. Neither of those applies to Belize.

If you want something inland for jungle stuff, Maya Mountain Lodge in San Ignacio worked out well for us. Not fancy but got the job done. They do AI for a good price (and is definitely interesting.) Great food with a fair amount of local food. Great owners who make the place. Centrally located for tours.

Seems they want to retire or travel and have the place up for sale, but I think I saw it's open through July this year before they go off on some travels. So might work for you.

Based on your diving experience you will be best suited to Turneffe Island as Downing suggested its a top knotch resort and the diving on offer is without doubt some of the best in Belize and sicne you have dove all those exotic places its my opinion you may not be happy with the diving off Ambergris but it depends on how long you will be visiting and how many days diving you intend on doing but I dont think anyone will argue with me that Turneffe and the Belize Atolls offers the best diving in Belize.

Gaz Cooper

Thanks Downing, Peter, Damsel and Gaz. I really appreciate your input!

So, If I go with Turneffe, and time is a bit short (since we will be staying at at least one other place), will I be able to accomplish all the good dives in 3 or 4 nights, or do I need the 7 night package? (I.e., will I be hitting myself that I didn't stay for the full week?)

Thanks again! Karin

Personally, I'd go for a week. That would give you enough time to hit The Elbow, one of Belize's premier sites, at least a couple of times as well as the Blue Hole, which may or may not be a big deal to you. The Elbow's literally five minutes away by boat.

TIR does the BH on Tuesdays, so if that's on your bucket list and you decide to do a half week then you'd want to do Saturday through Wednesday. It's a full day trip, leaving right after breakfast, with the BH first and two other dives in the area. They do lunch on Half Moon Caye. Even if you elect to skip the BH dive, the other two dives, e.g., The Aquarium and Long Caye Wall, are among the best so I'd strongly recommend making the trip.

Sometimes, due to weather conditions, the BH trip gets bumped to a different day so you're taking a bit of a risk in missing it if you go for only a half-week.

If you go for a week, you probably don't want to go a Wednesday to Wednesday because Saturday's the main guest transfer day and there's no diving or guided snorkeling at all that day. The staff's running back and forth to the mainland. On the other hand, if you'd like to have the island practically all to yourself, Saturday's the day to do it.

I forgot to mention before that the non-divers can certainly snorkel if they're so inclined. I've never snorkled there, but the folks who did raved about it. TIR runs guided snorkel tours both in the morning and afternoon.

I've never seen anyone happy to leave the place no matter how long they stayed, so there's a good chance you're going to be hitting yourself regardless. :D

Last edited:
Are you sure you'll be able to stay at TIR for half a week? They don't have access boats every day.

I'm positive. Most guests come and go on Saturdays, but a few guests leave and/or arrive on Wednesdays.

If no one's coming or going on a Wednesday and if there's no reason to otherwise go, then they don't run the transfer boat.

That's useful to remember. It isn't the case for all atoll resorts.

Back
Top Bottom