Diving in Jordan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glub

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone has some current info on diving in Jordan - operators, good dive hotels, etc. it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Haven't been for a while (we were last there in 1998), but used Aquatours and stayed at the Alcazar Hotel.

The diving is all shore-based. Very good invertebrate stuff - a few good gorgonians.

The dive centre was great and the staff were fantastic.

Only minor issue was flying in to Ovda (Eilat, Israel) and transferring across the border into Jordan. They almost confiscated my kit on the Jordanian side...

I organise dance parties in Jordan (e.g. for the Millenium, see the Jordan page on the website) and did my Arabic degree there. It is well worth touring the country, especially Wadi Rum, Petra, Wadi Dana (if you like trekking), Kerak (Crusader Castle) and Jerash (well preserved Roman city) the people are some of the friendliest in the Middle East.

As to diving the Royal Diving Centre, out of Aqaba towards the Saudi border, it's just past the port, is excellent, it used to be run by quite an arrogant English couple but I hear they have fortunately been replaced, all of the 5* offer diving and instructors and the small budget hotels (I use the Red Sea hotel behind the market area as it is cheap and cheerful) will also be able to put you in touch with local operators.

As to the diving itself I can't really help, from what I have heard the better reefs are off the coast so require a boat, but I only started diving in earnest since arriving in Saudi 10 months ago.

Enjoy and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom