Diving in Ixtapa / Zihuatanejo in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am doing some research for a possible trip in May of 2014.

I found a bunch of the old posts. The most recent one I saw was 2010.

What I have been able to gather:
1) water on the Pacific side of Mexico is colder, warms up a little in the summer months
2) not a lot of coral, more rocky outroppings
3) visibility varies a lot
4) looks to be a good variety of dive sites
5) and a good variety of marine life

Some people seem to have had good trips, others not as good. Visibility seems to be a big factor.

The above being said - anybody have more info on what the water temps, visibility, and marine life are normally like in May?

In February 2011 we did our 2nd Discover SCUBA through the Ixtapa Barcelo resort (b4 getting certified later in the year). The shop was run by Ixtapa Aqua Paradise which I believe had a satellite shop at the resort.

The boat left from the Zihuatanejo bay and we dove 2 sites, Manzanillo and Caleta de Chon, according to my notes. After diving the caribbean, the visibility especially on the initial descent was shocking to me. I was nervous that I couldn't see more than 5' in front of me. We descended on a line and viz opened up and it was fine, although not as good as the caribbean. The water may have been a smidge cooler than the caribbean and we wore long 3mms.

Just went through my pix for a reminder. We saw lots of fish we'd seen in the Caribbean and our first seahorse: guineafowl pufferfish, yellow pufferfish, porcupinefish, rays, morays, squirrelfish, spiny sea urchins, starfish, butterflyfish and sergeant majors.

We have no plans to go back to the Pacific side of Mexico for diving (although I'd like to try Sea of Cortez one day), much preferring the clear Caribbean, but I'm really glad we dove there once. It's good to experience things for yourself. It was a good experience to dive in lower viz, and prepared me for diving up here in BC. From your comments, it sounds like you're already being pretty realistic in what to expect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom