Diving in Iceland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving Silfra in November 2013, with Dive Iceland.com They will provide all gear including drysuits. I brought my own gear, regs, drysuit, BCD etc. Silfra is 300 foot viz, and you can tell this from the last part of the dive where the inlet is about 300 ft across. I could clearly see snorkellers on the far side. The water comes from a glacier and filters through 50 km of lava rock, meaning that it is pure and clear. There is a teeny weeny current in parts of the dive.

Water temp is 2C degrees. Thingvellir National Park requires that divers have a guide.

I loved the amazing blue of the water. Yes you are on the tectonic plate divide. It was worth every penny. At the moment, Thingvellir National Park has no entrance fee! Dive operations pay a premium to the government to get dive guide permits. That I imagine is part of the cost to the diver. Many things are more expensive in Iceland due to shipping everything in.

There are similar cracks on the north side of Iceland. Plus you can do geothermal vents, a shipwreck and geothermal rivers using Erlendur Bogason's Strytan Dive Centre near the northern town of Akureyri. Diving in Iceland | Strytan Divecenter I dived on the shipwreck "Standard" as the weather was not cooperating for the geothermal vents. Erlendur runs a thorough and safety conscious business. Recommended.

I live in Iceland and have dived the silfra crack plenty of times.
It is amazing and nowhere in the world you get that visibility.
And YES, you are diving between the 2 continents.
You can do it your own, without an operator, you just have to register and the national park office and pay 1.000 kr. (about 6 euros).
Valdi at kofunarvorur.is rents equipment, but I think you have to show prove of drysuit experience/lycensed.
Roberto

What is the nearest international airport to Silfra?

What is the nearest international airport to Silfra?

wait for me !! :p

Sent fra min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

I dove Silfra last July. It was pretty amazing. And what's not mentioned here is that there water is also DELICIOUS to drink during the dive. Not often you can do that.

I went with Dive Iceland and can recommend them. It was a tiny group of us. Three divers, my wife who snorkeled, then two more divers I believe who met us at the site. A group of 15 divers sounds really frustrating. Very glad I did it with the operation I did.

I'd love to go back and do more diving there.

Can anyone comment about the quality of ocean dives in Iceland? I get the impression that the real dive is Silfra crack and dives around the coast are a so-so (fillers) to call it all an Iceland "dive-package."

While there is a small airport in Reykjavik, the main international airport is in Keflavik. It's about an hour drive away from Reykjavik. Many package tours stop at the Blue Lagoon on the way from Reykjavik to the airport. I've been there once but never did any diving.

"Keflavík International Airport (Icelandic: Keflavíkurflugvöllur) (IATA: KEF, ICAO: BIKF), also known as Reykjavík-Keflavík Airport, is the largest airport in Iceland and the country’s main hub for international transportation. It is situated 1.7 NM (3.1 km; 2.0 mi) west of Keflavík[2] and 50 km (31 mi) south-west of Reykjavík. The airport has three runways, of which two are operated, and the airport area is about 25 km2 (9.7 sq mi). Most international journeys to or from Iceland pass through this airport."[h=1][/h]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom