Diving in Hong-Kong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be in Hong-Kong in mid December (for work).
I could spare a day in the week-end to dive.
Is it worth doing so?
I never dived in Asia.
I would have with me only my (prescription) mask and diving computer.

Thanks

Well, you can find several dive shops and clubs there.
But does that mean thay the dives are nice or just that there are some addicted divers there (or a market for basic training)?

You can dive in Sai Kung on the weekends. I wouldn't bother, it is not good.

I'll be in Hong-Kong in mid December (for work).
I could spare a day in the week-end to dive.
Is it worth doing so?
I never dived in Asia.
I would have with me only my (prescription) mask and diving computer.

Thanks

sebach, sorry didn't see this til today.

The water starts to get a bit chilly then (low 20c maybe below 20c...). If that doesn't deter you, contact us at South China Diving Club. It's a local BSAC club and we usually have local boat dives every other weekend or so.

website is www.scdc.org.hk
and you can see the dive schedule here South China Diving Club

They can also arrange to rent out a full kit (except wetsuit) for you from one of the local dive shop.

But first I should warn you that diving in HK is rather unexciting and visibility tends to be pretty bad. I do it mostly to keep on top of my diving skills and for the beer on the boat rides...

If you can manage 3 days off, I would rather suggest you take advantage of the cheap flights from HK to Manila/ Cebu, Philippines and enjoy the crystal clear warm waters there (and the San Miguel beer)!

Thanks a lot. The more I read about it, and the more pictures I see, make me feel it isn't worth it.
Temp is not a problem, but if there's nothing to see, I'm not that in need (100+ dive this year, diving holidays already booked in french west indies for 2 week in january 2009).
Unfortunately I don't have time to leave HK to go elsewhere to dive.

I had noticed the BSAC club, but in any case, you're having your Christmas party the only week-end where I could have dived.

I haven't visited these forums for a long time, so I didn't see this thread.

Regarding diving here in HK, it is fun and most of the local divers are cool. Yes, the viz sucks and many shops stop running boats at this time of year, but I love it, if only for a chance to get wet and escape the daily grind of life here. As pakman wrote, it is a good place to keep skills sharp.

Yes, sebach, it is a market for basic training. I saw that there are approx. 70,000 certified divers here in HK.

I wouldn't call it a dive destination, but if you're here anyway why don't you pop into one of the local shops and see what they have on offer?

BTW: if you're looking for gear then HK has decent prices, sans sales tax.

have fun

Merry Christmas

The best place for diving in Hong Kong is Sai Kung. But it is not good. I am a Hong Kong local people and if u need anything u can send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom